Trailing edge with rounded ends

Reed

dscf1903.jpgdscf1902.jpgdscf1901.jpgI am a new builder with little build know how. I recently purchased a BD sport and scale Tiger Moth E . Read the kits a re great quality and laser cut. Also there are some basic instructions.I am getting through the build and hit parts I have no idea of how it should be done but I sit back and eventually find a way probably wrong but it seems ok,also I look here for past posts on similar subject.

But I have really got my hands full with the rounded ends of the Trailing edges.I have taken pictures in case its easier to see rather than my trying to find words.So if photo heavy and if the pictures are not in correct placement,first attempt of posting photos.

Here is plan showing the shape of rounded endsdscf1899.jpg

Advert

That did not work to good. attached 1st photo after txt but the others went above and I can not add txt after last photo. I will have to add posts till I find the proper way to post pictures so please bare with.

The above shows the rounded tips superimposed for upper and lower wings.

I bevelled the lower trailing edge to accept the upper,dont know if this is correct but I have done four like this so hope so.dscf1912.jpg

dscf1911.jpgdscf1910.jpgdscf1909.jpgdscf1903.jpgI bevelled the entire length of the trailing edge and on the straight area I think it will work but how does the top edge meet the bottom edge on the round area,also when I shape the lower edge to required curve do I then bevel the curve.i have laid paper on trailing edge to show.

Sorry about the terrible photo posting,this time using same method the photos all attached before text. I will have to look into the method before I try any more.

I think this is enough to show the area I am stuck on.

Also are the top and bottom wings the same sweep wise. going by the plan there is very little difference,seems to small to be intentional ,wondered if its a plan anomaly .

My plan is impossible to get flat due to way it was packed so I was having probs with ribs and spars laying flat so I laid it out on gridded paper.

You pasted as I was writing but that looks fine.

How much you bevel the edges rather depends on how 'fine' you want the trailing edge to be. I suspect what you have done is about right.

The full size has quite a fine edge (for the size of the wing) and it has to be treated gently. On a model you do have to take into account that proportionally they have a much rougher life so a slightly over scale edge thickness may be a good thing.

I realise about the shape on the plan Simon,its more about the actual way to attach upper and lower trailing edge at the curve.

Richard, I see your point. so where the dotted line starts after the rib is infill,does that mean I should not of bevelled that area?

And on the curve that area will not be as thin as the trailing edge tip, it will get thicker,say 1/8th at start and end of bend it might be say 1/2 inch

If the plan is creased from being folded have you tried ironing it ? As Richard has said there is "balsa scrap" infill shown on the plans together with what looks like shaped trailing edge sections between the end ribs.

Yes sorry about lag in posting,i am struggling trying to post the photos in the right place. They don't seem to attach after the last text,the first one does then the others go to start.Also I can not add txt after last photo.

I am going to try and find out now.

Hi The dotted line shows the outer corner T/E at wing tip and the solid line shows the inner corner T/E where it joins the center section. I think you may have this wrong .The corners are diiferent as the wings are gently swept back .This gives the Tiger Moth its character and shape . If you have got it wrong and its all glued dont panic , as the correct ends can be spliced on at the outer ends to give the correct outline .

The beveled T/E is fine and give s a good contact area for strength and also helps keep the T/E thin . A little sanding will make it a little thinner .

Edited By Engine Doctor on 30/07/2015 11:07:29

I am ok with the correct curve at each end and the narrowing of the TE where it meets the centre section. its the way I bring the two TE strips together at the curve. when I lay the upper strip on the ribs on the straight section it meets the lower great,THEN when it gets to the curve the strips separate and the bevel no longer meets the upper,at first I thought I needed to push the upper strip down to meet lower TE strip but soon realised that will not work.

To be honest I am still no wiser to how it should be done.i will take these tips and look at the wing on the board to see if any sink in.

I have almost finish one centre section not fully shaped yet but I am pleased with it.I am going to post two photos to see if I have found correct way to post

dscf1908.jpg

dscf1907.jpg

Found out how to place photos after text and in order.I can still not work out how to add text after last photo.can not get curser below last photo.Will check on any more tips tonight,thanks for time and patience

Hi..

To add the text after each photo you need to click the curser in the very bottom corner of the photo..not under it but just slightly to the right.

Then hit enter a couple of times and type your text..

Good luck with the build! - it looks a very neat job.

P. s - I have 100s of moth images - if you need anything in particular just ask

Jez

Regards the plan being creased I did not iron like jrman suggested. I was not sure if it was laser or copy printed and I read that heat removes the image from whiche ever it is.

I thought a light mist of water on the folds would do trick but that made it worse,creases and now wavey.

its only the wings I needed and the grid paper worked ok,if the plan was more complex I would be in trouble.

Hope next kit will have rolled plan.

Posted by Reed on 30/07/2015 13:19:40:

Regards the plan being creased I did not iron like jrman suggested. I was not sure if it was laser or copy printed and I read that heat removes the image from whiche ever it is.

I thought a light mist of water on the folds would do trick but that made it worse,creases and now wavey.

its only the wings I needed and the grid paper worked ok,if the plan was more complex I would be in trouble.

Hope next kit will have rolled plan.

I tape my plans to the building board - you can really get some tension on them - i simply cut them free afterwards and that gives a stronger edge that stops em getting battered.

Off out for a bit - will catch up later

jez

Thanks Jez, the first picture helps a lot. I was thinking the thin edge ran around the curve.now I can see the idea of the infill. luckily my lit is not to detailed and flat bottomed that second picture with rising wing would be beyond my abilities for now at least.

I think I will have to do new lower TE strips because I ran the bevel all the way not knowing better.if I put the infill on the bevel it will leave a gap,another lesson learned