broken down bandsaw

Help wanted, i have a Record 250 bandsaw, and it has a broken wheel tyre, idid not think they had tyres on . Anyway i have managed to obtain a new tyre, wonders of the internet.Its the bottom wheel ,the one with the drive belt atatched.the new tyre has to be soaked in hot water to help it stretch, it looks far to small for the wheel

The wheel will have to come off to replace the tyre , this is my problem, never having done this sort of thing before and dreading not being able yo put it back together Has any one done thisjob before, better still someone living close to haydock park willing to give up a bit of time ll expenses would be remburst.

hope someone can help.

regards to all Bernard.

Advert

Bernard

The wheel does not have to come off,release the blade tension (black knob on top of M/C ) and pull the blade forwards off the wheel.

Use a screwdriver to lever off the old tyre and then fit the new one,refit blade and adjust the tension,spin the wheel by hand first to ensure bade tracking is ok.

Jim

My B&D bandsaw developed a weird "dry bearing" noise. I little pot of berrylium grease of ebay and the wheel off and it was fine again. It has to be berrylium so as not to eat the plastic.

I haven't had the tyre problem, but taking a wheel off is no big deal. See if you can download instructions off the 'net. I found an exploded view of all the bits of mine on the net.

Worth persevering with. Mine cost 12 quid from the Sunday Market, plus £13 for a selection of 5 blades from...guess where. First of those just broke after two years and I couldn't find the rest! So had to pay £8-50 for one new blade. They've shot up in price in 2 years, but for the usefulness, I ain't complaining. I've cut 1/16th" ally sheet and even 1mm brass on it. Now an invaluable tool, but do keep it well adjusted where the guides are concerned and make sure the cutting head is never more than about 7 or 8 mm above the object being cut.

Cheers,

MrTin

Edited to say never take the cover off without unplugging the machine.

Edited By Foxfan on 30/07/2015 12:36:48

Jim thanks for your reply but it is the bottom wheel and its a little bit more complicated as the drive belt is atatched to it thanks to you also Chadock good clip but again the wrong wheel

i have been told to turn it on it,s side stand and all ,then maybe i can get enough leverage to pull it on

will keep you advised as to how i get on

Regards Bernard.

If you can replace the blade it seems odd that you can't replace the tyre. I know that one has to slacken-off the tension to replace the blade and this will not apply to the tyre but my point is you should have clear access to the wheel if you can change the blade. If you've bought the replacement tyre specially for your model it should fit shouldn't it. I take it that you've checked with your supplier regarding this. Anything on Youtube?

Barrie Dav 2

replacing the blade is no problem, however the tyre is only about 60%of the wheel and the space around it very small for big fingers.I will try turning the saw on it,s side and soaking the tyre in hot water next week, Yes the tyre is the right size for the wheel. Ibuild all my models from plans and get a decent result (so people tell me) iv,e been doing it for 40 years now . i just did not fancy taking the wheel off and getting it back on straight, so the blade would might cause problems

let you know how i get on

Regards Bernard.