Transmitter charging

Tony H

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if people always recharge their tx every time they go flying or do they leave it for maybe 4-5 afternoons of flying before charging.

How low do you allow your tx battery to get? I have a Hitec Aurora 9 with the standard 6cell Nmh battery 6-8v

Advert

Posted by Tony H on 31/07/2015 21:52:49:
Thanks Graham not a bad idea. What voltage or percentage is your battery usually at after 2-3hrs?

The battery is 1800 mah 5 cell NIMH. After 2 hours use the charger will put in about 1000 ma so it's probably discharged by less than 2/3rds.

Graham wood 3 - The battery is 1800 mah 5 cell NIMH. After 2 hours use the charger will put in about 1000 ma so it's probably discharged by less than 2/3rds.

Thar seems a lot for only 2hours use. I thought most transmitters were using 200 MaH. 

My futaba FF9 has an 8 cell 9.6v, 2500 mah NiMh in it. I reset the counter after every charge and then charge it after 5 hours use which generally puts back in around 1000 mah so I still have some in reserve if needs be.

Baz

Edited By brfc7 on 01/08/2015 00:16:57

Edited By brfc7 on 01/08/2015 00:23:06

Edited By brfc7 on 01/08/2015 00:24:10

Posted by Graham Wood 3 on 31/07/2015 23:00:23:
Posted by Tony H on 31/07/2015 21:52:49:
Thanks Graham not a bad idea. What voltage or percentage is your battery usually at after 2-3hrs?

The battery is 1800 mah 5 cell NIMH. After 2 hours use the charger will put in about 1000 ma so it's probably discharged by less than 2/3rds.

Hello Graham,

Which transmitter is it? My 14sg had one of those 5 cell 1800 NIMHS. The cells as supplied had a terrible "self discharge".

Ive replaced mine with some AA instants 2500. Does require a slight mod to the battery hatch (dremmel off some of the plastic bridging material)

Found a massive improvement.

Craig

Posted by Craig Carr on 01/08/2015 08:04:38

Hello Graham,

Which transmitter is it? My 14sg had one of those 5 cell 1800 NIMHS. The cells as supplied had a terrible "self discharge".

Ive replaced mine with some AA instants 2500. Does require a slight mod to the battery hatch (dremmel off some of the plastic bridging material)

Found a massive improvement.

Craig

Hi Craig. It's a Futaba T8J.

About 3 hours prior to use I find is usually enough. Depends on previous sessions use and length of time unused, but generally I leave to charge for 3 hours, check the meter and if ok then use it. It's a JR 9x with a standard 2600nimh on 35meg. My 2 spekky tx's I usually charge for about an hour and a half, but they don't drop anywhere near as much as the 35meg. Can usually get a dozen 10minute flights on each tx and still be in the green.

I have a Mux3030 transmitter and a Taranis. I've had a 3300 mAh battery in the Mux for years which is charged when the displayed voltagge gets down to 7.2v (6 cell) which is a long time. I have 2500 mAH pack in the Taranis I use the most which seems to last forever as well. I just monitor the displayed voltage before flying and, just in case have spare charged battery in the case. There's absolutely no need to charge each tim you go flying unless your flying time is hours long.  I always charge using a computer charger which tells me how much energy I've stored and never a simple wall wart which leaves much to chance.

When I used a 27Mhz 2 channel system for sailing it had a 500mAh battery and that did need rechargeing regularly but so did the load of packs I took when I went racing which were also 500mAh capacity..

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 01/08/2015 11:30:00