Transmitter for a Mature beginner

Paul Harris 5

While you can teach yourself to fly on your own, its not a route I would recommend- it will probably cost you more cash than with a club & instructor - both in crashed airframes and in money wasted buying inappropriate items

I would always and without hesitation recomend any newcomer to look round the local clubs and choose one he(she) feels comfortable with and start off flying with an instructor gradually moving towards flying solo albeit with an experienced flyer on stand by should it all go pear shaped - it shouldnt take too many flights to learn to take off, fly a reasonable circuit and land - from then on its a question of stick time to get better

Advert

As a self taught RC flyer totaly I agree with Phil. The only damage I ever did to the model I learned on was to break the tailplane (easily repaired) on a brick that was hidden in the grass of the public moor where I flew at the time. The model was a DB Tyro, it first flew on single channel with a 1.5cc diesel but went through a number of upgrades ending with 3 channels & powered by a Fox 15. The Fox was completely worn out by the time I progressed onto a small aerobatic model a 25 powered Bar-Flea. I gave the Tyro airframe, which was still in good working order, away to a friend who was just starting in RC.

I have also taught a number of people of varying ability but I've never used a buddy lead.

It obviously depends where you live, but its becoming harder to find places suitable for flying other than at club sites, especially if you live in or close to the main centres of population and if you want to fly larger or ic powered models

Back on topic, if we are talking purely about transmitters, then I do see where Phil is coming from.

While Futaba seems to be taking a kicking these days, I personally love my T6J. It has everything I currently need, everything that I need for the foreseeable future (next 3 or 4 years) and I'm perfectly happy to pay £29.99 instead of £20-£25 for a receiver. On paper, it has downsides in terms of perceived value for money, but in my hands - well - I just like it!!!

Posted by Phil Green on 03/08/2015 19:12:39:

Dont be coerced into anything you're not comfortable with Paul.
You dont have to use what your instructor uses and you dont have the use the same mode as everyone else.
You dont have to use a buddy lead, in fact you dont even have to have an instructor.
You dont have to learn on what is now commonly known as a 'trainer' model, there are much easier options.
Some seem to revel in making the whole toy plane thing seem more difficult than it really is!

/2p

Phil

About time someone said what I was thinking better than I could!

There seem to be a lot of guys on the forum who think model flying is some kind of complicated voodoo and you can only fly once trained by a Jedi master.

I taught myself starting with an Easystar, and I'm now onto an Artizan. No certificate in site, and no intention of getting one.

Nothing has ever "ended in tears" and it's great fun not just to fly but to teach yourself.

There's so much resource online these days that you really don't need some wizened anorak giving you the "in my day lad" speech, and waxing lyrical about balsa wood and tissue paper.

Get yourself an inexpensive foam starter plane (I slightly disagree with above - A high wing or glider type is best), do some research online, join the BMFA just for the insurance, find a nice big field away from houses and roads, and just fly.

If you crash? just laugh, fix the plane and try again.

It really isn't that hard.

Most transmitters nowadays have far more functions than you will ever need .however some will be more user friendly when it comes to setting them up .

I'm not saying any are better than others , but just different .If you can , get to try out a few programming sequences of different makes and models to find what you feel is best for you . Another good reason for joining a club .

Posted by Percy Verance on 05/08/2015 13:52:49:

And of course John, let's not lose sight of the fact that there is the other side of the coin. A number of folk will buy all the gear, "find" that field, have a go and smash the model to bits, resulting in total disillusion and the end of their attempt at model flying........

In a way Percy, I suspect that's the point of disagreement. This used to be the case, when simulators didn't exist, and the only trainers available were balsa built kits. Now it's not: people can take a foam model and teach themselves to fly it in a park.

Personally, I think the problem with that situation is that people learn to fly, but they don't learn to fly well. That is, they don't learn the discipline and the precision required to fly neat circuits and be 100% in control 100% of the time.

So in a way, the benefits of learning through a club are all still there, it's just far more difficult to see those benefits these days...

No-ones mentioned the other benefits of being in a club - the learning curve is so much easier, advice readily available and of course the social side - personally I find it quite boring flying on my own and much prefer the banter and ribbing that goes on in the group dynamic of a club

There are two transmitters available based on "open source" firmware. The FrSky Taranis and the HobbyKing 9XR-PRO. With both of these you would be most likely to use FrSky Tx modules and receivers, these are well known to be reliable and work well.

Both of these have a program you run on your computer. This program not only allows you to read and write the model memories, but also simulates the operation and helps you investigate how to program each model. The advantage of this is you can download this program and try it out without actually purchasing a transmitter.

Mike.

Hi Paul, I betyou wished you never asked.

For my two penneth

I would suggest going up market slightly from the two systems you mentioned. Two good standards that are very popular are the Spectrum DX6 or DX6I if you are quick you might still get a new DX6i which is the old model for not much more than the two sets you mentioned. The other is the Futaba T6J,

Both good clubman/entry level sets. They also both have the advantage of being very popular and should you get the desire later on to go up market on the transmitter all your receivers will still work with the more fancy transmitters of the same make. My choice of the two would be the Spektrum simply because the receivers are a bit cheaper and also good quality compatable receivers are available at a very low cost. The Spektrum also allows you to go down the bind and fly route should you wish to do so later on

As for joining a club I agree that the learning curve is so much simpler and the comradeship is the all important part, usually the flying to talking ratio ends up about 20 to 80%

As for model there are still those who recommend the old trainers of yesteryear but in reality things have moved on. Some of the foam models really take a lot of effort to break, and I am willing to believe something like the Easy Star or Bixler has to be the route to go. Although I would not recommend self teaching you could in reality,especially with the help of a simulator stand a chance of teaching yourself. It would be virtually impossible with a traditional trainer. ( it has been done as previously mentioned on this thread but that is the exception rther than the rule)

There is a video on You Tube of two guys flying an Easy Star, they crash it and cartwheel it time after time and it comes back for more each time, no way would a traditional trainer take that treatment. They are also a bundle of fun to fly and chuck round the sky as well.

Posted by Percy Verance on 05/08/2015 13:52:49:

..... you can't just "find" a nice big field. Page 7 of the BMFA handbook does advise getting permission from a landowner. The upshot here (presumably), is that you may compromise the validity of your insurance if you chose not to, and something untoward happened...........

.... enjoy promoting the hobby and helping others to enjoy it as much as I do..........

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 05/08/2015 17:26:52:

No-ones mentioned the other benefits of being in a club - the learning curve is so much easier, advice readily available and of course the social side - personally I find it quite boring flying on my own and much prefer the banter and ribbing that goes on in the group dynamic of a club

I promise this is my last comment on the subject (for now).

As a BMFA member you'll of course know that the only stipulation in the insurance is that you are a BMFA member. There are absolutely no caveats.

I'm a park flyer and as the name implies I fly on parks. I'm joined on this particular park by around 10 other flyers, all BMFA members (They're obviously all idiots).

Why don't I join a club? Simple I don't do clubs! I detest clubs and absolutely hate the idea of driving for miles to be lectured and bored rigid by "banter" I have no interest in, to get 30 minutes of flying. I'm social when I want to be, especially with flyers who come to the park.

I'm getting a bit sick and tired of being told on this antiquated forum that I "Must join a club". If that's your thing fine, I would never tell anyone not to join a club, so I get very annoyed when I'm told I'm stupid if I don't.

I too want others to enjoy this hobby and I've taken a young RC car driver under my wing with some tuition.

My inspiration is sites like flitetest and videos on youtube, it's time some of the "45+ years" crowd understood there are now other perfectly viable routes into RC flying, and for some of us, "clubs" are a massive turn off.

And as for the patronising posts claiming that well I can fly, I probably can't fly properly! I was told by one of the guys at the park, a BMFA examiner, that I would walk the "A" cert and was almost up to "B" if I could be bothered to take them - which I can't.

One of the guys at the park is an amazing 3D flyer - he's never had a single lesson. Impossible!

Rant over - I need to lie down in a dark room.

Posted by John Howes on 06/08/2015 13:32:22:

And as for the patronising posts claiming that well I can fly, I probably can't fly properly! I was told by one of the guys at the park, a BMFA examiner, that I would walk the "A" cert and was almost up to "B" if I could be bothered to take them - which I can't.

One of the guys at the park is an amazing 3D flyer - he's never had a single lesson. Impossible!

Rant over - I need to lie down in a dark room.

John, I apologize if my post came across as patronizing, I was only recounting my own experience. I taught myself to fly, and while I can get a model up and down again in one piece, I'm nowhere near as confident or precise as I think I could be if I received some more formal tuition.

Sounds fair enough John, do your own thing and enjoy it yes careful you don't get stuck on the belief that all clubs are not full of folk who do it simply for the enjoyment of it like yourself. Our club gets quite a few new members from lads who've been learning themselves, we give them 3 free visits they join or they don't ..no pressure no lectures. I detest clubs ? antiquated forum ? what's that about, hope you calm down after your nap smiley

John