Lucky, lucky aeromodeller

Took my Flair DR VII for its second outing today. Towards the end of the second flight I heard a peculiar whining sound, and put in for a landing. Horror, the cowl, and it has 10 ounces of weight in it, so if that had parted company, no more DR VII I suspect. My fault, bigger screws needed for such an heavy item.image.jpg

Advert

Wot gets me is that this flight was the first where I threw it about. The throws are as plan, and fair do'es are spot on, rolls, loops, inside and out, spins, stall turns, it don't care. The only objection was an inverted spin entry resulted in a blur where it got right way up. And I really threw it about for nine minutes.

If the cowl is ABS as I think it may be then it's not really strong enough to support that amount lead on its own. Much better to attach the lead to something much more substantial inside the engine compartment with both glue and screws. After all if you need that much lead there's no need to scrimp on the size and weight of the wood at the front.

You were very lucky. Had the screws simply disappeared or did you remove them later?

Geoff

As I recall it's about 2 ounces different in weight. I know it not a lot but I have a thing about weight. I still kick myself that I built it with the kit supplied wood at the back, which is the reason for the weight at the front being there at all. Jason Channing has the answer. And possibly a set of dowel locators to take the lateral loads off the screws.

image.jpgProblem cause solved, on taking cowl off plane, two screws missing, two in cowl but unattached to plane. No damage to any of the cowl fixing holes, or in the front plate of the plane( holes or threads). Conclusion is they MAY have shaken loose, or I didn't tighten them. Stupid lucky aero modeller, either way.