DB Auster electric conversion

I am planning my winter build project and have settled on the Auster as there are lots of build blogs to follow. I cannot find any with electric power and am looking for help in how to provide access for battery changes. My previous building experiences have all been "as per plan" so unsure how to change it. I have read the posts on BEB's Chipmunk conversion and something along those lines seems feasible.

Has anyone been there and done it already?

Advert

this might help with motor selection **LINK** so it has been thought about by some one at least. Looking at photos of finished models I can see your problem as there is not an obvious area for a battery hatch. it looks to me it may have to go in through the bottom

Try an email to DB sport and scale that might have some info

good luck with the project

Edited By Phil 9 on 07/08/2015 08:35:36

• 4 months later...

Hi, having just received my Auster kit from DB I have been studying the same issues. My thoughts, at the moment, are to omit the existing fuel tank holder and replace it with a battery box angled from the bottom ( access through a hatch in the fibre glass cowl, and angled upwards towards the centre of the cockpit at approx 45 degrees and construct a battery box. The 6 cell battery could be located on a ply slider as in my Wots Wot. It would mean enlarging the bottom access through the first former to give clearance but a strengthening rib either side should compensate. Any opinions gratefully received, PS I intend using possibly an E flyte 60

With my 1/5 scale DB Cub I've installed a battery box which is accessed through the front of the cowl -- say roughly where the rectangular holes are in Tony Bennett's post above -- and goes back horizontally through the firewall to give enough length for my 3S 3900mAh LiPo (originally two 7-cell NiMh packs in series). I cut an access hatch in the fibreglass cowl, and hinged it.

Since access to the battery is impeded by the prop, I've installed a safety plug in the side of the cowl so I can isolate the battery before trying to open the hatch.

Edit: Here's a photo.

cub battery bay 001.jpg

Edited By Allan Bennett on 18/12/2015 08:24:24

• 3 years later...