Tipsy Junior

I know that Peter Miller did a smallish Tipsy Junior but maybe it was called Fairey Junior. I cannot find it though. Actually I know I have the plan and magazine, but whether it was RCME or RC Scale Quarterly ( MyHobbyStores) or Flying Sale Models ( ADH) or even RC Scale International ( Traplet ) I dont know. Traplet have a 54 inch version MW2112 and a Phillip Kent 57 inch version MW 2797

Good evening, thanks for the reply,a lot of people seem to think that these small 4 strokes aren't that powerful, but they do swing a big fine pitch prop. I've had the 26 in David Boddington's cap 230, which flew well, it wasn't built as per plan, but the cowl and canopy were the ones for his model, the air frame itself was a lot lighter and it didn't need nose weight and would do every thing in the book except climb vertically out of sight. So with any luck, there's a pdf at the end of this, which is 22" no there won't be, cos i don't know how to do it, sorry about thatangry. I suppose the easiest thing to do is just get the guy round the corner to double up the formers F1 and F2 and form the cowl out of 1/32 ply and see if the motor will go in. I can't see it weighing much more than an Attila and they fly well on a 15, the real one wasn't aerobatic, i'm surprised it flew at all on 65 HP.

Thanks again, Geoff

Peter Miller is often on here so maybe a PM to him will find where the plan was published and maybe get the info on the engine he used -possibly an OS 20 FS but maybe the later type which was more powerful.

If you can find out where it was published I will look up the article ( I know I have it but it's one of hundreds of RC mags in my collection) With the info where it was published will come the plan number which should provoke MyHobbyStores website to find the plan.

Hi KC, no i haven't got it, the article is in this forum, it's an RCME plan and the build article is there if you find it, you just click on a picture of the plan and that's where the article is. The reason i fancy it is at that size, you can get 2 or 3 models in the back of the car and leave the seats up, the fuel tank doesn't have to be as big as for a 4 stroke and there's less oil to wipe away, but considering there was only 2 full size aircraft made, there seems to be a lot of plans out there, one would have expected that RCMe would have catalogued their aircraft as fight aircraft, civilian etc and the number of plans that you do find don't have a picture of the model that you're looking at, when you see scale, you expect scale, by all means catagorize it, a long way off scale, stand off scale and super scale, i suspect most builders of the smaller sizes mean stand off scale, because its going to be flown every week, the attraction of this type of aeroplane is the Typsy Junior for real is more like a scaled up model and it doesn't require a moulded canopy or a moulded cowl as the real one has a bent perspex windshield and a engine cowl made with sheet aluminium, the only bit of ally bashing is on one side so this makes a good modelling subject if you see where i'm going and it doesn't require a 1 and 1/4" spinner that doesn't look right, my example being my son has built a 1/2 a mustang, the only place we could get a canopy from was sig in the states and the spinner with a back plate, a necessity when you're using a cox td as the only plastic ones available in the UK that i found are the cheap nasty ones in many colours, normally out of ballance and bear no resemblance to any aircraft that i've ever seem, their only use being for people who can't start an engine without an electric starter. Umm, that's me rabbiting on, if you don't find that article, let me know. Thanks, Geoff

It's an ideal model as it's simple with no awkward bits and has a very low aspect ratio wing so even the 44 inch span gives 462sq inches

I went through hundreds of magazines and still have not found Peter's version. What I did find was the other Tipsy / Fairey Junior.plans so just for the record and for anyone looking for bigger versions the details are:-

Myhobbystore RM277 80 inch span by Dennis Tapsfield from Radio Modeller July 1984

Myhobbystores RSQ1864  80 inch by Dave Powell

Traplet MW2797 57 inch bY Phillip Kent RC Scale Int May/June & July/Aug 2000 (free plan over these 2 issues)

Traplet MW2112 54 inch

Philip Kent sells his own 79 inch plan here

Edited By kc on 24/08/2015 15:25:39

Edited By kc on 24/08/2015 15:30:51

Thanks Phil that was the info I needed! Once I had the date I went straight to the magazine complete with plan. I knew i had it! Actually I thought it was an much earlier design so I only looked pre 2000. Looks ideal for electric ( don't tell Peter that though )

For anyone needing the plan there is a copy of the magazine advertised for sale- does not state plan included or not but for 1.90 pounds worth a try.