Where are we going to fly?

Daithi O Buitigh

It seems that Google and Amazon are pushing for 'home delivery' autonomous drones. The problem is where they are going to fly them.

According to this article, Amazon wants airspace between 200 and 500 feet to be cleared for 'commercial use', while Google wants the whole heap (from zero to 500 feet) to fly their gizmos.

Now I'm used to commercial interests eyeing up the radio spectrum and casting envious looks at the amateur bands, but this is a new one. If they get their way, especially Google, where are we supposed to fly models?

Advert

I think the whole thing is a case of fact & theory.

A month before I was born man landed on the moon , in theory some 46 years later the moon should be being used as a service station for a quick snack and a toilet break on our way to a far away galaxy for a 2 week all inclusive break nearer the sun.

In fact man has just managed to grow some watercress whilst in orbit........

Just how big would these pasty delivery drones have to be? I mean a 20 mins flight time isnt going to bring about the "logistics revolution" they drone on about..... at 40 mph with a range of 10 mins out/10 mins back thats about 6.5 miles.......

So they are going to need much bigger batteries, which makes them heavier and heavier - and thats before the payload....

Is the idea really a practical solution with current battery technology???

Google Amazon and other big money are involved ! Beware !! Of course it could be one of their executives fresh out of uni has just found an old copy of Dan Dare with all the pics of drones flying everywhere or possibly watched Blade Runner or Judge Dread and is on a mission. The main worry is our friends across the Atlantic really want this to happen and have even got NASA involved with developing a control system . I like the Gregg's idea smiley.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 06/09/2015 08:41:15

Posted by Percy Verance on 06/09/2015 08:34:58:

There's also another slight problem here. How many of these drones will get bagged by someone when they land? Pop your own receiver in and away you go. Cheap drone anyone?

Edited By Percy Verance on 06/09/2015 08:37:23

Exactly - I can imagine the emails ... Nope Mr Amazon the delivery never happened, I waited in for ages no sign of my expensive purchase arriving... please refund my money, that's all for now got to test fly my brand new second hand mega drone wink

I fail to see the advantages of 'drone delivery'. If I currently buy a DVD from them, it gets to my door without any problems. If I buy a larger item it comes via courier again without a problem. Delivery is reliable, inexpensive and secure thanks to efficient IT systems and cheap labour.

Drone delivery could be implemented, but it's an unrealistic fantasy to think it'll be anything more than an expensive gimmick encouraged by company executives on an ego trip, or by a few sad customers who might like to impress their neighbours by having stuff dropped off in this manner.

Edited By Cuban8 on 06/09/2015 09:01:50

Posted by adrian lawrence 1 on 06/09/2015 09:19:50:

If, and it's a big if, it does happen then and Amazon and the like will have to geofence to avoid existing flying sites, just as they would have to do with restricted areas and airspace. Personally I cant see it happening unless there is a massive advance in battery technology.

Even if the technology develops, it still strikes me as a solution looking for a problem. And it's not the first time......think driverless cars..............flying cars............. amphibious cars............personal jet packs etc etc. Fine in theory but actually not a lot of good.no