What's the bhe biplane in the Phoenix f/demo?

Andrew Johnston

Hi Andy - the trouble with books like that is they can 'date' very quickly so your best source are magazines and websites like this one. Have you seen Tim's excellent articles on the home page - Electrickery pt1 and 2? - you wont go far wrong with these.

Model wise, everyone has their favourites but I'd suggest something from Multiplex - an Easy Star, Twin Star perhaps. Have a look at some threads in the electric or beginners section where similar thread and suggestions are.  If you prefer wood then the two Seagull trainers the EP Innovator and E-Pioneer are very good. The V-trainer from www.flyingwings is foam and pretty indestructable while the Slow Stick from GWS is cheap stable and as the name suggests, very slow

Hi Dave, Eric & Rob, I have just ordered a World Model Piper Cub EP + Electric kit with 4 micro servos (Hitec HS55s). Many many thanks for all your help. Dave the August RCM&E Magazine has lots of interesting articles, Fly Electric & Get in Trim to name two, please keep up thr good work.

Andy. Ps when this package arrives and I pluck up the courage to assemble it I only hope that I dont Prang it first flight.

• 1 month later...

the problem i have with phoenix is its wierd inclination to flick roll if you yank in a load of up elevator - even in full power dives.

This is something which I cannot replicate in flight - only if insufficient airspeed is available, and thats not the situation in a full power dive.

To make matters worse some models on phoenix do it only in normal flight ( ie. they dont do it when inverted).

I have contacted phoenix about this but they said that they were happy with the flight characteristics of their sim and that they were not going to investigate it. Furthermore they said that I should tweak the wing rocking settings to adjust it out - so they know how to make it better but dont want to issue a fix for it.

Dont get me wrongm I use phoenix every ( literally) day, but if i had a chance to do it all again i would be testing the sim before i bought it to make sure i was happy with it.

The other problem with phoenix is that it seems to be a predomnantly heli sim, the new models which have been issued are great but the majority are helis.

So to recap, if you are a fixed wing flyer who likes ultra realistic flight characteristics this may not be for you.

Howard............quote from Phoenix Support last week............

"We are currently working on a major update for Phoenix which will be available in the near future.

This update will include revised fixed-wing physics, many new fixed-wing models, and will introduce both dynamic and slope soaring facilities, including many more models and flying sites.

Please continue to check our website for more details as they become available."

• 4 weeks later...
Hi everyone I to have a pheonix sim I think its very good I take it to our club nights for the other members to have ago with .I also had a XTR sim but I think the pheonix is better.-  has anyone successfully flown & landed the tilt rotor model I can get it off the ground verticaly but landing it the same way is a right pain without knocking off the motors.

Rob Iam operating on vista on a very up to date comp. I can get the model down more or less verticaly by using the flaps as collective pitch by slowly reducing the flap & it lowers the model whilst keeping up elevator the problem lies when I touch down I have to shut flaps &throtle & keep up elevator in all at the  same time.