Top Flite DC-3 kit

Thanks All, everything is coming together slowly

PeterF I have heard that this plane is tail heavy the idea is to have the receiver unit and batteries in the nose area to take some of the weight from the wing and use it for balancing. One thing I did notice was the amount of balsa sheets in the box need some more glue

Advert

Posted by Rob Dunn on 31/10/2015 17:49:17:

PeterF I have heard that this plane is tail heavy the idea is to have the receiver unit and batteries in the nose area to take some of the weight from the wing and use it for balancing. One thing I did notice was the amount of balsa sheets in the box need some more glue

Rob,

Yes you are right, as well as the 12oz of lead screwed to the nose block, I had the Rx battery (larger than standard AA cells) and the glow batteries.

Nice to see another one of these being built. It is a first class kit and, as others have said, the instruction book is excellent. I learned many techniques from that book which have served me well over the subsequent 15 years of building.

My version was built before the digital photography age so there aren't as many construction photos as I generally take nowadays but FWIW, details are at:

http://www.bartonhewsons.uk/home/modelflying/scale/DC3text.htm

Enjoy the build

Trevor

Edited By Trevor on 31/10/2015 20:36:41

tail sectioncoveringOnly done a small amount of work over the past 2 days was out flying yesterday couldn't stay in with the sun shining and very little wind.

The stag and fin are now glued in place i must of spent at least an hour or two thinking about doing this the nerves where higher that a someone on drugs. With a bit of sanding some tape and a square, Following the instructions all worked out just fine

Made some school boy error's with the balsa skins , with some filler and abit of sanding it will all work out just fine, He hopes

Been away for a bit suffer with the back, Final managed to finish's of the fusealge skinning a lot of sanding at the aft end. rudder and elevator push rods are in place and connected to the tail wheel, will be doing the removeable rear hatch so i can check on the clevis will be changing the clevis to metal instead of the plastic one's As long as you follow the instructions you can not go wrong take each step slowly. Balsa filler is now drying then just a quick sand to shape. Need to make the canopy removable as this is where the batteries will be going to use magnets to hold down the canopy.

Big thank you to Pyramid models for the decals of the Reg number, Mission symbols and aircraft name

dscf3260.jpgdscf3259.jpgUPDATE

Fuselage is final sheeted still alot of filling and sanding to be done, The balsa filler i have does not seem right maybe an old batch so have ordered some more different brand.

the rear hatch and canopy are removable the rear hatch will be held on by the covering as per instructions, the canopy i will be using magnets and a dowel to hold this on as the switches will be in the nose area.

When sanding need to be careful not to put your finger through the balsa skin as some areas can be thin.

Fuselage now been put to the side will waiting on the filler so been looking at the center wing section this is where you need to follow the instruction to the letter so have been busy rereading them over a cuppa will dry fitting the parts.dscf3258.jpg

Been busy with the wings a lot of dry fitting and sanding then measure recorrect then measure again does not help when the wings are bigger than your table lucky the wife was out and the front room was free.

the outer wing panel are now glued to the center section

the engine nacelles are in place with the fire walls at the correct angle

the undercarriage has been fitted and tested need to remove for fuel proofing

first of two engine mounts on with engine fitted these have been temporary fitted as still need to fuel proof

one thing i have learnt is to mark the parts up or down left or right as this does help when finally glueing together lucky for 30min glue

dscf3267.jpgdscf3268.jpgdscf3269.jpgdscf3271.jpg

Thanks all,

Yes the kit is well laid out and fits together quickly, Have a lot of sanding still to be done and this will take up a lot of time. BEB the covering in some areas is 1.6mm due to the complex curves at the tail end if you are not careful like myself who is a bit heavy handed all sorts of things happen. The main sheets are 3/32 due to sanding some areas do come thin and you only fine them when your finger goes through.

Now the working parts are starting to go in I will be slowing down as need to work out the wire and air routes.

Hi Barry I have just done the bottom skin not yet sanded and I can see what you mean I have also added some balsa strips from inside the fuse just to help in some areas.

wings are coming on well now for the wiring some head scratching been going on .plenty of coffee in house just in casedscf3273.jpg

Have not been up to much on the build been routing the wires and plumbing. Flaps are complete and fit ok some minor adjustments required which will be done when the servos are connected.

Due to the amount of connectors I have used ashlock connectors which will house the Ailerons , Flaps and throttle

which leaves the retracts and lights so instead of 8 connectors only have 4

fitted 4-max landing lights which have an of on switch so this can be connected to a channel and used when required and power is supplied by a 2s lipo the receiver battery is not used.

dscf3276.jpgdscf3275.jpgHave not been up to much on the build been routing the wires and plumbing. Flaps are complete and fit ok some minor adjustments required which will be done when the servos are connected.

Due to the amount of connectors I have used ashlock connectors which will house the Ailerons , Flaps and throttle

which leaves the retracts and lights so instead of 8 connectors only have 4

fitted 4-max landing lights which have an of on switch so this can be connected to a channel and used when required and power is supplied by a 2s lipo the receiver battery is not used.dscf3274.jpg

The wing is final shinned and loads of filler used laugh wing tips on and ruff sanded ailerons built and fitted just need to get the fine sander going landing lights still need to have a cover mage have some clear plastic thinking about using a plastic bottle as they are thin.

undercarriage all fitted and works cool now on to the nacelles and cowling need to get some automotive filler of some sort

have made some 1/16th ply hatches for the on-board glow so I can have access to them need to sort out the charging socket for the battery

dscf3277.jpgdscf3278.jpgdscf3279.jpg

dscf3280.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

dscf3283.jpgdscf3284.jpgdscf3285.jpgdscf3286.jpgBeen awhile since the last update, the build is almost complete all wooden parts are glued in all cracks filled and all working parts added and setup.

Still to do dscf3287.jpghave to purchase 2 new switches as remembered had some dubro switch stations which i will use, receiver to be mounted in its final place the canopy and rear hatch will be removeable when required am going to blend them in with filler and covering then all it will take is a hack saw or scaple to remove. Then a final sand, fuel proofing and covering,