cutting and slotting 60 ribs in 60 minutes! (plus a bit of time for a jig)

mightypeesh

Hi folks. I have just started a small Dr1 build, and having drawn out the plans I worked out that I would need 60 odd ribs - and me being a bit ham fisted with small parts thought I would make up some jigs to help and to line up all the slots. I am sure I have seen this method somewhere before as there is nothing new under the sun, but have never tried it out in practice! The ribs do vary but only in that some are cut off shorter than others, so I figured to make all 60 the same and trim as needed.

_mg_0666.jpg

Ok. work out where the spar's and trailing edges need to be and project out across a bit of flat wood. Use the same size stock and attach 80 grit abrasive to it by laying a strip of double sided tape onto the back of the abrasive paper and placing the wood strip on it befor cutting flush to the edges with a scalpel. Stick the strips to your bit of flat board with a bit of super glue, adding a thicker section at the front to act as a guide. Make sure they are all parallel or it will not work!

_mg_0668.jpg

I added some of my favorite thin cardboard stock to shim up between the wood strip to account for the extra thickness added by the abrasive paper. That's it really - I did not time this bit, but I still had tea in my cup when I had finished!

_mg_0671.jpg

Time to break out the SLEC wood stripper. I cut down a sheet of 2.5mm into strips 15mm wide. I have had the stripper for about 3 years and had never used it before as we moved house and the metal bar disappeared in the process - When in B&Q the other day I notice some 'u' channel that looked about right for it - it was spot on! I now love it - great bit of kit.

_mg_0673.jpg

I then bundled them together and cut them to 100mm on my little band saw, you could use a razor saw - just keep it square! I then bundled them into blocks of 30 using an engineers square to keep all the leading edges level.

_mg_0674.jpg

Keep the leading edges square to the guide and rubb gently back and forth.

_mg_0677.jpg

A couple of minutes - all nice and slotted.

_mg_0680.jpg

Next to make a thin ply template for the rib - once again use the slotting jig to cut out the spar slots in the ply before cutting the rib shape.

_mg_0683.jpg

Next make up another jig from scrap. Use the slotting jig to locate some small bits of spar material and glue in with small post sticking up. These act as indexing guides for the balsa blanks and the template.

_mg_0692.jpg

_mg_0693.jpg

_mg_0690.jpg

This all takes longer to describe than do.....

_mg_0695.jpg

It took 18 minutes to cut all the blanks into ribs!

Like I say nothing new, but a little bit of time spent marking out and making a jig make cutting ribs a lot quicker!

Hope this is of some use to someone,

Cheers, Simon

Advert

Useful idea. I just hope I remember it next time I need to make ribs. My only contribution to rib manufacture was to make an aluminium template to cut the ribs for my plan built Limbo Dancer (a lot fewer than this) but the slot cutting jig would still have helped.

Geoff

• 3 months later...