1/15 Fairey Swordfish

Robert Caso

I designed and built my1/15 scale, 37” Fairey Swordfish about 10 years ago as a building feature for Backyard Flyer magazine. In the interest of simplicity, I left out the ailerons and this wound up being a major mistake as the model just did not do well with only a rudder. I just recently rebuilt the wings with ailerons and decided also to do folding wings. Nothing looks cooler than a topedoed up Swordfish on a carrier deck. The model now flies great.

And now for something completely different:

Does anyone here know Richard Crapp and perhaps if he has plans available for the magnificent Swordfish he did a few years ago? I have a design going of a larger one in 1/7 (78" but if I could get my hands on Richard's design I would rather build that. Comments/connections appreciated!

Rob

I have built this model myself. Originally as a three channel model but as Robert says above it was not too successful. I added ailerons which transformed the model into a nice flying model. Would be interested in making the wings fold. Picture of my swordfish below.

JMSwordfish

• 1 month later...

Nice model indeed Rob, mine lacks some detailing with the fuselage wing spars etc , and now has pilot and gunner...but she flies very well indeeed...got to love stick and tissue !!

All the best

BTW i bough two of these kits from you...the other one will be build with more detail, now I am familiar with the aeroplane and how it behaves

Ray

swordfish_finished 003.jpgswordfish_detail 001.jpgswordfish 003.jpgswordfish 002.jpgswordfish 001.jpg

Ray

Edited By Raymond Richards on 02/01/2016 10:50:52

• 4 weeks later...

Rob/Ray

Is this kit still available? I have done the usual search on the web but no joy, and the article in the RCM&E makes no mention of a Kit?

Love the size, and mention in one article that 1300 mAh Li-Po was used (I have a few of those to hand ) makes it a very desirable model to have.

Mike

Hey Guys - Ray, I just emailed Mike and thank you for the comments! I noted that I have upgraded the parts for the folding wing and redid the plans. I just sold a kit to a guy in the UK whose father used to fly the Swordfish, so now my personal connection with this airplane and its history is officially complete!

BTW - has anyone seen this book? If you like the Swordfish, you're gonna love this - terrific and a must have

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fairey-Swordfish-Manual-Haynes-Manuals/dp/0857333623

Rob

Hi Rob.

Thanks for reply, e-mail sent.

Have put in an order for the book via my son who works in a book store.

Also a good book for those who are into high detail, is the Tamya's " How to Build" Fairey Swordfish. Published by ADH Publishing. My copy is from 1999!.......can it be that long ago?....well it may not be around, so a tip to the secondhand book sellers may be called for.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...