RM Trainer Mk3

Of course 1/64 ply is the stuff for this but at 5 pounds a sq ft it's too expensive to buy. But any scraps should be saved for this purpose. Substitutes for wing band protection might be veneer or even lithoplate ( drinks can stuff) or plastic sheet.

Advert

Hi All,

Not it much to report tonight, a lot of work for not much visible progress, but got the aileron servo installed, pushrods cut and threaded, I've also got the linkages made up and roughly set up.

image.jpg

I've set up the linkage to mechanically give 'more up than down' differential, unfortunately, I'm going to have to apply some sub trim to this channel, as whichever way round I put the servo disc, the holes didn't line up. I know I could drill the disc, but im not confident I could mark this out and drill with enough precision to better what I've got.

Cheers

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Got started covering today, I'd forgotten how much I love the smell of warm solarfilm. Bit slow going to start off with, but it's all coming back to me now.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

In them last two photos, you can see which side I covered first, I've quickly learned to use the sock and to use the flat sole of the iron on flat surfaces, on the side on the right above I used the tip of the iron and it has dinged the balsa slightly. Lesson learned...

Cheers

Mark

Edited By Mark Elen on 30/12/2015 16:05:45

So having made a start on covering, I've realised I still haven't quite finished the wing. Still got the 1/32 ply plates for the wing bands to fit. The rear ones are flat, so no issues there, but the front ones need to follow the shape of the wing, so I wetted out a strip of ply and used a permagrit round file and a piece of copper tube clamped overnight to pre bend the ply something like

image.jpg

This still isn't dry this morning, but that's no problem, I'm going to be a while covering the fuselage. Got a couple more bits done this morning.

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's it for now

Cheers

Mark

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your comments. It's 4 small squares of ply shown on the plan to correspond with the areas that will take the most of the pressure of the wing bands. I will be cutting the strip down and chamfering the edges before gluing these on. I just need it to dry out, i use the garage as my workshop and have a heater in there, but with the mild weather have resisted putting it on. That may change if it isn't soon dry.

Cheers

Mark

Hi John,

Thanks for your comments, the thread cutting die with the slot is the die I've been using, it did a sterling job too. Unfortunately I don't have any ammonia, so I've had to make do with just water. I've just been out and had a look and although it still hasn't dried out fully, it is holding the curve nicely.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks John,

I've got to be honest, I really wasn't looking forward to covering this, now it's become one of my favourite jobs.

A little more done today, I've been suffering with a cold since mid week last week, but I'm back on it now, not far to go then onto the Ballerina build. 😃

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's it for tonight. I'll trim and seal the top edge of that tomorrow.

Cheers

Mark

Hi John,

Thanks for your kind comments. I painted the dowels with 3 coats of white Solarlac before I started, then cut the dowel holes in the piece of film for the side using a sharpened piece of tube. Made sure the film was down well around the dowel before shrinking/ironing the side piece in place. It worked really well.

Regards

Mark