Dave Hardaker Lightning

Sam and John given me some more images of their wooden (electric) version of Lightning.

Apologies if some of the images are out of sequences I'm only the messenger......................

0030.jpg

0031.jpg

0032.jpg

0033.jpg

0034.jpg

0035.jpg

0036.jpg

0037.jpg

0038.jpg

0039.jpg

0040.jpg

0041.jpg

0042.jpg

0043.jpg

0044.jpg

0045.jpg

0046.jpg

0047.jpg

0048.jpg

This is John the other half of " Project Lightning" Sam and John both jokingly say "You can't beat old fashioned tried and tested building techniques"

These last sequences show the Bonding of the skins to the cores

0049.jpg

0050.jpg

Total amount of weight applied to bond the skins equals 200kg

0051.jpg

Electric lightning "in the flesh"

Sam & John both say " They are both delighted and more than grateful that Dave kindly provided them with plans of Lightning F.O.C for this project and hope to do Daves Classic design the justice it deserves...now the hard work begins"

Owdlad

• 3 weeks later...

Hi superNash

Sam & john have suspended lightning E to crack on and finish i.c lightning so to be ready for the ukcaa icebreaker. Painting is in the finishing stage and im hoping to post images of her later this week when Sam calls round.

Here we go i.c Lightning in her various stages of colour application. Sam says he very rarely copies colour schemes but this build is a tribute to Lightning so he has no other option than to follow Daves' colours

1000.jpg

This is Sam template.

1001.jpg

Etch primed ready for the colours

1002.jpg

Yellow applied roughly in the areas where required

1003.jpg

3mm fine line masking tape in position

1004.jpg

Masked off and canopy painted

1005.jpg

no defects so its carry on

1006.jpg

masked off for the orange area

1007.jpg

Orange applied

1008.jpg

Masking paper removed

1009.jpg

Top half masked off and the white area sprayed

1010.jpg

White area masked off

1011.jpg

Blue sprayed on (light coats 75% thinner)

1012.jpg

Fuselage completed now its time to move onto the wings

1013.jpg

Orange flash sprayed on

1014.jpg

Top masked off and block areas filled in

1015.jpg

Finished underside

1016.jpg

Finished top side

1017.jpg

Finally this is always the best part. Lightning in all her pristine glory awaiting decals and fuel proofing

Posted by Martyn K on 10/03/2016 09:07:36:

Beautiful..

But.... Bricks as a model stand..! A braver man than I Gungadin

Martyn

Lol Sam was pushing his luck bringing a freshly painted model into the house, his wife (Hyacinth Bucket) wasn't best pleased and I suspect a severe ear bashing when i left

laugh

• 2 weeks later...

I called round to see Sam yesterday to see how lightning was progressing and was happy to catch him prepping lightning for fuel proofing. One thing that always surprises me how he comes up with simple but effective solutions to problems

His latest solution to fuel proofing the fuzz without damaging the finish was derived in Sams words " from an Airfix model stand"

1018.jpg

1019.jpg

Simple and yet effective stand.

• 3 months later...

Update on the progress of Lightning.

Since Sam inicial flight of Lightning at the first ukcaa bash at Skegness this year he hasn't been able to fly because of a serious injury.

Yesterday July 13th Sam felt it was time to give Lightning a flight as he has recovered sufficently to stand un-aided without support for short periods of time. So, on a typical summers day on top of the hills overlooking Holmfirth he asked me to come along and help him out by bieng his pit man. Naturally I jumped at the chance and decided to video blowing off the cob webs of his Lightning and his fingers

Sams flight looked better in real time as this video clip doesn't do full justice, but nevertheless I hope you enjoy 

https://youtu.be/-E2wet0645U

Owdlad 

Edited By Owdlad on 14/07/2016 17:57:48

Edited By Owdlad on 14/07/2016 17:59:10