Depron Vulcan B2

Tim Jones 4

Firstly, thank you for taking a look at my build log - let me explain the project:

I've been itching to start a new build for a while now and was lying in bed last friday night wondering what I could create... I visited my local model shop on Saturday and by coincidence, someone had just dropped off a plan for a 60" Vulcan B2 including a canopy, nose cone, rear end and jet tubes that they had never got round to starting and wanted to sell. KERCHING!! Perfect!

I have always been in awe of the mighty Vulcans - I have vivid childhood memories of them practicing their scrambles. So, I decided that it would be the ideal project. The plan was designed by Ron Fraser in 1987 and sold by Traplet. Originally designed to be built from balsa and ply and powered by a .60 two stroke. However, my intentions are to build it from Depron and power it with a 35/36 5 turn electric motor and a 4 cell LiPo battery. So, with it being a Depron build, I will only be following the plan fairly loosley as the techniques required to make a rigid airframe differ slightly from the norm... I am lucky enough to be friends with the legendary Roy Hunter (Electriflier) who has succesfully designed, built and flown numerous Depron masterpieces (most recently a beautiful Mosquito, which is featured on this site), so there is a wealth of knowledge to help me on my way!

My first job was to get the plan copied, as I didn't want to destroy the original. Once this was done (this morning) I rushed home (via the model shop for a few supplies) and laid the plan out to start to get my head around how to attack it. I started by Spray-Mounting all the fuz formers onto a sheet of 6mm Depron and cutting them out. I then decided to deviate slightly from the formula that Electriflier uses by using the supplied Longeron pattern, although, on his advice, I did beef it up a bit as the original is a little flimsy. Normally, I would have used a 'top down view' section, but this would have caused me a fair amount of extra work involving lots of remeasuring, so I dicided to try this method...fingers crossed. Anyway, that is as far as I have managed to get today. I've spent more time staring and rubbing my chin than actually cutting, but confidence is (fairly) high.... More tomorrow. I will get some photo's uploaded as soon as I suss out how....

Edited By Tim Jones 4 on 24/11/2015 23:04:39

Advert

Tim

That looks very nice.

My only advice (at this stage!) is to keep it light. The huge wing area creates equally substantial drag at even modest angles of incidence. Whilst there is no problem nowadays piling on the power with electric but the weight rises rapidly when you do.

Deltas fly very nicely and surprisingly fast if required at a wing loading that would not be out of place on a thermal glider.

At the altitudes we used to see a Vulcan it flies slowly, they were indeed strictly speed limited low down. So much more impressive if the model can fly at something like scale 'visual' speed. wink 2

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 24/11/2015 23:40:00:

Tim

That looks very nice.

My only advice (at this stage!) is to keep it light. The huge wing area creates equally substantial drag at even modest angles of incidence. Whilst there is no problem nowadays piling on the power with electric but the weight rises rapidly when you do.

Deltas fly very nicely and surprisingly fast if required at a wing loading that would not be out of place on a thermal glider.

At the altitudes we used to see a Vulcan it flies slowly, they were indeed strictly speed limited low down. So much more impressive if the model can fly at something like scale 'visual' speed. wink 2

Hi Simon - thanks for the advice. I don't intend this to be a fast flying model, although the motor will provide more than enough grunt and has been tried and tested in more substantial models. In fact, I believe the same motor was used to power an 80" Vulcan which was built by Electriflier (Roy Hunter) and flew with great success. It was also used in a Buccaneer which flies beautifully....

You might need a few packets of HobNobs at this rate Phil - not made any progress today...

I got a bit more done yesterday though - I made the battery box out of ply and cut out the front keel section for the removable nose. I slotted the formers and dry fitted it all together. So far, so good.

I'm having major issues with uploading photo's at the moment, so am unable to show the progress (BT internet is utter sh*te!) so please feel free to use your imagination... meanwhile, I have included a picture of the motor with 8" prop attached. I will endeavor to get some pics uploaded tomorrow.img_20151124_231757 [418825].jpg