DH Mosquito

Danny Fenton

Hi. I was given the privilege of sitting in the prototype Mossie EO234 at Salisbury Hall some 30 years ago ! I was shown round the museum by Alan Copas,who as a young man, helped build the prototype in 1940. He was impressed by my knowledge of the aircraft and against the rules,let me shin up the ladder and into the cockpit. Wonderful smells and beyond my widest dreams at the time ! He showed me the break in the rear fuselage which people thought was the original break in Boscombe testing but which was in fact another fracture on the replacement fuselage from W4051. 25 years later and I was able to see the original mods to the rear of the cowlings where they were extended to improve the airflow over the tailplane. They hadn't been since since the 50's ! And the little leather pouches the underrcart locking pins were put in before flight . Ah !De Havilland !

Colin

Edited By Colin Carpenter on 25/11/2015 21:52:15

I did notice the usual inaccuracies creep in. The Lanc and Halifax weren't projected in the '30s, the Mossie wasn't ordered after the first prototype was flown (in fact 50 were ordered from the drawing board under Air Ministry Spec B1.40)

And I'll say nothing about the commentary talking about Lancs with a flight of Whitleys showing on the screen

They also missed a couple of points, Danny - the armament wasn't just '4 .303 Brownings' but it also had 4 20 mm Hispanos under the cockpit floor. Additionally BOAC had a high speed 'courier' for diplomatic mail to Lisbon (returning with the bomb bay full of ball bearings) and also carried passengers now and again. Sir Malcolm Sargent was one and he was locked in the bomb bay with oxygen, lighting and a supply of reading material (which is probably where the OSS got the idea)