Visiting the Great Orme

Advert

Hi Simon,

If it's a SW (good winds forecast this weekend, but looks a bit wet too) then you want to head to "Marine Drive", which is a toll road around the rock.

To get there, follow signposts for the pier, but don't park there. Carry on up the hill with the sea on your right shoulder. You will go under an arch where you can pay the nice chap for access, then pootle off round the road.

After a wee while you'll see the "Rest and be thankful" café on your right (it's well signed, can't miss it), and just after that on the left is a turning known as the "Tank track". It's ribbed, so check your filling before going up! It winds a little way to the top, then you will see the hallowed grounds of the Tank Track Car Park.

As you approach the car park, you are more or less driving SW - the main (and bestest) slope is directly in front of you.

There is an old concrete structure that you can pit behind, and you'll also see a slightly lower shelf in front of you from here. Walk left and snake your way down to it. I'd reccommend launching from there if that forecast comes true - there will be epic lift and probably gusting 60mph+ on the ridge lip, which will be a bit dangerous for the EFX I'd wager. Launch from the shelf, walk back up to the top - enjoy!

Oh, and get some photos

Here's the shelf, with a launch :

img_2506.jpg

You can pretty much double the ground-level forecast in Llandudno for the lip of the ridge. You can still launch lighter stuff, but you really have to get down to the ledge to do it. Also downwind / base leg landing runs should be kept very short, otherwise your model gets pushed back over the gorse and heather too far, and you'll loose sight before you touch down. Ask me how I know blush

You could always go up and see what's happening? Might be a few guys up there if the weather is good.

Tim snuck in before I hit reply - best guy to go up there with imho.

Edited By Andy Meade on 27/11/2015 09:38:57

Posted by Andy Meade on 27/11/2015 09:17:30:

Hi Simon,

If it's a SW (good winds forecast this weekend, but looks a bit wet too) then you want to head to "Marine Drive", which is a toll road around the rock.

To get there, follow signposts for the pier, but don't park there. Carry on up the hill with the sea on your right shoulder. You will go under an arch where you can pay the nice chap for access, then pootle off round the road.

After a wee while you'll see the "Rest and be thankful" café on your right (it's well signed, can't miss it), and just after that on the left is a turning known as the "Tank track". It's ribbed, so check your filling before going up! It winds a little way to the top, then you will see the hallowed grounds of the Tank Track Car Park.

As you approach the car park, you are more or less driving SW - the main (and bestest) slope is directly in front of you.

There is an old concrete structure that you can pit behind, and you'll also see a slightly lower shelf in front of you from here. Walk left and snake your way down to it. I'd reccommend launching from there if that forecast comes true - there will be epic lift and probably gusting 60mph+ on the ridge lip, which will be a bit dangerous for the EFX I'd wager. Launch from the shelf, walk back up to the top - enjoy!

Oh, and get some photos

Here's the shelf, with a launch :

img_2506.jpg

Who photoshopped me out LOL

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...