ATTENTION BEGINNERS(General Chat)

Alex Hasell

Hello

Any one who has just tried to view or leave a post for someone on Timbos old thread "beginners begin here" will have realised the whole thing has gone and been replaced by a new version with the same title. If you would like to leave a post HERE so that others that you WERE talking with will be able to continue chatting, please do so.

I intend this thread to be used by beginners but for absolutely anything to do with flying they like.

HI guys i was talking to a guy called Allan last about symetrical wing sections and alike Allan if your seeing this please leave me a post and also i think it was Kellvin i apologise if that is wrong you left a post about our shared choose of trainer the Boomerang and a link to a very usefull build forum PLEASE PLEASE leave me another and if any one else would like to talk about anything your very welcome

Alex...if it was "beginners begin here" you cannot post on that thread.

It states at the beginning, that the thread is "locked" and anyone wishing to follow through on the topic of the thread should start their own thread, preferably by starting with answers to the questions I posed. The thread has been updated today, and the old original unweildy thread has been "discontinued" due to it becoming far too large, and off topic. I did give notice on the old thread that this was to be done.

Alex Hasell wrote (see)
first off when charging rx packs with non peak detecting wall chargers i take it only way of checkin they are full is tomeasure voltage with a meter but what is the ideal voltage for them to hold when charged?

You have already asked that question on someone else's thread, here and I have already answered it.

Timbo please dont think im upset about it or anything thats fair enough it was your thread to begin with i have just put this new thread on worded the way it is to get peoples atention that is all well mainly the two guys mentioned any incase there is anyone else that doesnt know that you have been forced to clean up that thread

By the way how long can a post be before it is to long to go on i have become extremely frustrated with one of Davids threads as i hae now wasted 3 hours on posts no one will ever see and i didnt think they were THAT long

And finally how di you get on at Weston Park was it a good day unfortunatley i coulded go it was just imossible in the end will there be anything in the next issue do you know?

Hi Alex. A post is limited to around 2080 characters or so ( can't remember the exact figure ). However, every space, comma, and letter etc is a character, so it is surprising how quickly they add up ! I wasnt forced to clean up the thread - I chose to do so, having notified yourself and others that were posting on it that I was about to do so.

Weston park was great, and the "follow up comments" were posted on the thread which was dedicated to it.

there is also a great video posted by my clubmate barnesyboy about the event HERE

As for magazine coverage, I cannot say - but would expect that there will be something from Alex whittaker, as I know he was present. 

Kelvin Stephenson wrote (see)

Hi Alex,

Here is the Boomerang build link,

Boomerang c/o Wombat

Bad show the thread just disappearing like that..

Thought it was just locked, hope this is not the start of a thread cull ?

Has your Boomer arrived yet Alex?

I did ( as I keep saying ) notify people on that old thread that it was due for extinction. Once a thread becomes so large - over 300 replies actually on that one - it simply becomes too unwieldy, and as was also mentioned it had strayed WAY off topic.The original idea was to get complete newcomers to think about a few questions, and post answers on a separate thread in order that we could advise them properly. I spent several hours early this morning revisiting all the 313 posts in that thread before deciding which bits to retain and update. The final few postings, although beginner orientated, were not IMO closely related enough to the thread objectives. The new updated version explains the rationale behind the move. People who were posting toward the end of the old thread had every opportunity to start a new thread on the subjects that were being discussed at that point, and I even advised them to do so - indeed Alex has now done so, successfully. Alternatively they could have PM'd me to ask about my plans for the thread, and I would, as always, have replied and advised accordingly. This is NOT the start of a cull, merely routine housekeeping necessary for the successful future of the forum.

It is NOT our intention to have a "strict rule based forum" - exactly the opposite.

We are "THE FRIENDLY FORUM" and I apologise if this action has caused you guys inconvenience - but hey, we will work it all out in the end and we always try to help as best we can

Kelvin,

Nice one my friend that was quick i was panicking a bit cause i thought it was a very good link and cause i was so tired when i looked at it i didnt book mark it!! will do now. Dont worry about the other thread we have this one now.

No it hasn't come yet i hope it will be tommorow i'm ready to go except the actuall plane which is kinda important i think ha ha!

One of the points in Wombats build i found interesting were the rates obviously the manual will have a suggestion but can i ask how you have yours set up? and also do you have any general "flying" tips you could share with me i think the more knowledge i can gather the more chance i might have of it not ending in tears

Thanks Kelvin.

Hi Alex,

Click on this link Seagullmodels home -  find the boomerang and you will find a downloadable copy of the instuction book to have a peek at .

I got the boomer to take my A test after a break of some 30years from R/C model flying. I usually fly the Ripmax Spitfire.

The dual rates are as per the manual, stick to the low rates if this is for you to learn on.

Wombat covers most of the build very well,follow that and the instructions and you will not go far wrong.

If it is your first model get your instructor to give it a check out before the first flight.

Some folks, including me  have found the U/C to be a bit on the bendy side (see Wombat) .

Kelvin

I

Slow loading! it is more like its just not there it just cant find any page other than the home page!

Engine wise im playing it safe for now and sticking with an SC46 i would like to be able to drop a O.S in it but price is driving my choices at the minute i'm affraid and as the SC is going for under £40 at the mo from Galaxy i would be silly not too

I would like to do a blog on it depends on time really and also if people would actually be interested if i did what i might well do is take alot of pics while i do the buid then i could write it up at my own pace as i have time

THANKS FOR ENCOURAGEMENT GUYS

I started to take the photos so watch this space!!!

The build so far, i have finished the wing including servo and pushrods

Next the tail!!

I am reading every three times and taking my time to the extreme checking and checking again ,the devil is in the detail you know!  And i love every minute of iti just cant seem to stop this internal grin

Must go Epoxy resin  is calling my name

Hi guys

Your not wrong there Timbo "measure twice cut once" is a rule i will now not forget when i maked out the tail to remove some covering i must of been on imperial planet or something a good job i checked, scapel in hand! Ready to cut about 2" to much not a major promlem but who wants to repair a brand new plane!

Apart from this the build is going well wing section complete with servo and rods installed with dihedral 

going the right way, DOWN as you look at it... just kidding.

tail section on but no control horns as yet and the servo's and switch are mounted ready to accept the rods.

Fuel tank build but not installed yet waiting for engine 

Non plane: Field Box is built with power panel included ( why pay £35+ for what i can make for a tenner!)

And a big grin as i enjoy every minute it really is an enjoyable process i finding out the building is going to be a big part of this hobby for me i can see that already. Will pop a couple pics on if you would like to see how its going. 

Way to go Alex.

I'm glad you mentioned the tail, I almost did the same  ,optical illusion, caused by the stripy colour scheme that's my excuse .

When you fit the fuel tank, make sure it is packed in well,if not it will rotate because of the the vibration caused by the engine, just thought I would mention it ..

Got any pics to show us yet?

Kelvin

Kelvin,

i will remember that when fitting it

Pics i mightas well take up photographyat the same time took loads hardest part is remembering to take one of the important bits. So if you check tommorow there will be some tasters on here for you to see. Will leave most for the blog though.

Alex.