Extra 300 scratch build from plan.

Glyn R

Advert

Posted by cymaz on 26/03/2016 07:04:41:

Excellent fit and fininsh...well done

Found this, hope it helps

Edited By cymaz on 26/03/2016 07:07:06

That is fabulous thanks a lot. After I have built my Sea Fury I might have another go and make one like this.😊

I must remember my original plan was to replace this.

CMP Extra 300S

It is the CMPro ARF after a major rebuild with new colours and an RCG 15cc petrol fitted.  It is alas no more.

I want to fly the new model this summer so the real scale detail will have to wait for another project.

Edited By Glyn R on 29/03/2016 11:26:34

I have now completed the internal fixings to the wings and am about to skin the lower sides

This shows details of the wing locating and retaining method.

20160330_103521.jpg

Tee nut glued inside the wing.

20160330_103511.jpg

Wing nut and reinforcing in fuselage.

20160330_103503.jpg

Main wing brace and rear locating tube. The rear tube is a 4mm alloy tube which fits inside a 5mm tube in the wing.

The wing fit was OK but I wanted it better so I adopted the cling film and body filler dodge.

20160405_102027.jpg

Cling film on the fuse and a skin of body filler on the wing root leave to set and then remove. The masking tape is not vital it just reduces the sanding needed. Body filler does not stick to cling film.

The finished result.

20160406_100339.jpg

I am now finalising the tank and fuel system. The vent is shown above.

20160406_102424.jpg

The tank is retained in a neat box, this will need a squirt of grey paint. I must finalise the Rx mount and battery holders before going on to the tailplane.

Posted by Martyn K on 30/03/2016 15:44:30:

Looks great Glyn

I would be inclined to swap that 4mm ali tube for a Carbon tube.. Much stronger and will not bend. Alternatively, a 3mm carbon tube inside your Alloy tube may be an option

Martyn

You will observe in the above pics the 4mm carbon tube replacing the original alloy. Much better.

Not actually glued in yet but easy to push into the wings. Thanks for the tip.

Waiting for long leads for servos so I decided to move on. The fuse all jigged up ready to fix the tailplane.

20160408_204050.jpg

I like to have as many references as possible to guarantee the alignment.

20160408_203925.jpg

Edited By Glyn R on 08/04/2016 22:23:44

Finally got the tailplane in place. Seems straight and square.

20160412_152639.jpg

There is a moulding around the fin, I did not intend to use this but I looked at the full size pics and realised this is scale. They have this too. I have the aileron leads which can be seen sticking out of the fuse. The aileron servo lead just reaches the root of the wing so I can fix directly to it with only one connection. I have bought some of the JR type leads with a latch on the connector. It seems very positive and will  give confidence in the joint.

20160412_152625.jpg

I am wondering how to finish this part. It won't be easy to cover as I intend with the rest of the plane but I may just paint it the same colour. Fixing film to these multi curvature pieces is not easy.

Edited By Glyn R on 12/04/2016 16:26:15

Edited By Glyn R on 12/04/2016 16:26:53

I am now ready to work out the final wiring layout. The Rx and switch will be on their own tray.

They will be covered by a removable deck on which the pilot will sit.

20160418_133651.jpg

The wiring to the engine controls will be fed between the skin and the spaceframe, with lots of cable ties.

20160418_133636.jpg

20160418_133711.jpg

The ignition battery and ignition controls will be in the forward engine mounting box. Except the CDI and Kill switch.

I am not yet sure about the Tx battery box, It will need to be removable to enable the fuel tank to be removed if needed.

Edited By Glyn R on 18/04/2016 19:41:51

Just rough fitted the canopy. I think this shows why the scale detail inside is worth it.

20160421_194804.jpg

My plan is to finish the dashboards and then glue the canopy to the frame. I will finish the rough edges then with a Dremel after the glue has dried.

I have made a removable battery box for the Tx battery, This is not really shown in this pic. All will be revealed when I finally fit the wiring.

Edited By Glyn R on 21/04/2016 20:12:24

Edited By Glyn R on 21/04/2016 20:12:52

Just got to the pretty part. However a decision has to be made.

20160426_145925.jpg

20160426_145905.jpg

The underside of the wings will also be red and white check. I now quite like this bright red. I had intended to make the upper section and the top of the wings bright yellow.

Should I make it all red with white flashes or should I add yellow to the top half of the fuse and wings?

indecision.

I am feeling that is the way to go. It will make painting the cowl simple. I will

have to do some finishing around the canopy. Solartrim will be fine for that.

20160426_214022.jpg

20160426_214032.jpg

I will have to check the colours for the paint and solartrim, I have both. Sods law says they will both be too far away from the fuse colour.

I have spent ages making the cowl a good fit against the fuse. I have now screwed it in place so that's a bit final.

I fitted the engine, spinner and prop to get the alignment right.This will now have to all come off . the cowl is now ready for painting. I will paint the molding around the fin at the same time. This means masking the stab and rear fuse.20160429_151506.jpg

I have been struggling to find a red paint bright enough to go with film colour. I have found that Volkswagen Mars Red is pretty close so I can continue.

One of the wings is now finished and aileron mounted.

Not yet glued the hinges I am sorting out the push rods which will be 2mm threaded rod inside a 3mm carbon tube.

The fuse is unchanged at present I can't finish the covering until I have painted the fin moulding. This can now proceed with my new spray paint. This has delayed things for about a week.

I just ordered the cowl for my Sea Fury so I can go straight back to that project after the Extra.