Extra 300 scratch build from plan.

Glyn R

Hi Glyn

I find that Halfords BMW Bright Red is a good match for the 'Ferrari' shaded films that are available. Red is a notorious colour to match, being at the the longer wavelength end of the spectrum, colour and hue variations are very easily spotted. Good luck getting a match.

I also believe that some Halfords stores offer a colour match system as well. May be worthwhile taking a sample of film in and seeing if they can match that,

Martyn

Advert

I have covered the wings and ailerons. The are now ready for final assembly. The fin area needs painting so I masked it off ready.

20160511_144604.jpg

The inside of the blue tape is all I need to do before I can cover the rest of the fuse.

I have painted and fitted the U/C which looks very good. I am not sure about spats.

20160511_145013.jpg

However at the moment my workshop is full of kitchen furniture which is due to be fitted next week.

20160511_144618.jpg

Still it should all be gone in a few days. It's in the way though.

I am confused Martyn. My Acrowot is intact. I did break one years ago this was inexperience and strong wind. My current electric version built from a Chrs Foss kit is still OK. I don,'t have a current pic but it looks like thisAcrowot

I am confused Martyn. My Acrowot is intact. I did break one years ago this was inexperience and strong wind. My current electric version built from a Chrs Foss kit is still OK. I don,'t have a current pic but it looks like thisAcrowot

I finally got round to painting the fin moulding. One of those jobs that looked more difficult than is was. I have carried the paint over onto the wood so that the film will cover the edge when I finish.

20160512_160448.jpg

Once the kitchen is gone from my workshop I can now finish the fuse.

• 2 weeks later...

The garage is now cleared so I restarted.What a pain. 

20160523_163914.jpg

I must remember when mixing film and paint to do the film first. Getting a good looking join between the painted moulding and the upper stab surface is a nightmare. I should have realised that the iron would melt the paint. Still I have done one side.

Edited By Glyn R on 23/05/2016 16:48:50

Edited By Glyn R on 23/05/2016 16:52:51

• 2 weeks later...

Kitchen is finished! Back to the Extra. Some progress with the rudder.

20160610_202734.jpg

Just the elevators and one aileron to cover.

Time to test run the engine before it goes finally into the model.

20160610_202720.jpg

20160610_202711.jpg

I built this test stand some time ago when my first petrol engine shook the previous one to bits. I just need it to stop raining.

I don't run them in on the stand. I just like to know everything works before it's enclosed. I will test run it again in the plane before I go to the field. I can't stand arriving and finding out I have made a mistake. It also gives me a chance to try the prop and check rpm.

There is nothing worse than an engine that won't start.