Your first RC model

AVC

Posted by Chris Barlow on 19/12/2015 12:37:25:

I notice there are lots of post about old airframes and single channel control but what about first RC models from the last 10 years?

Surely somebody has taken up flying recently! wink

Had a long break from the late 70s (when I'm afraid I did start with SC - see previous!) to 2002. I had a Futaba FF7 which I'd bought a couple of years previously when I started dabbling in helicopters but when I joined a local club I found little interest in helis. I bought a Ripmax 40 Trainer and stuck my old 70's Irvine 40 in it with the intention of taking a Heli A elsewhere while making use of the local facilities. There were no BMFA A certs. etc. back in the day, so I had a few flights to get my hand in before taking the A (FW), got bored with the eggbeaters (which the club allowed me to mess about with on the strength of my shiny new FW certificate) and soon started building/assembling an ever growing fleet of fixed winged models...

To answer the 'more recent' question my first RC plane after my 25 year career break was a good old Artech Wing Dragon Sportster in 2008.

Brushed 480 motor, 9.6V NiMh, 4ch 35mHz and it did "exactly what it said on the tin (box)" but only for a maximum of 5 minutes at a time!

But as a long time modeller I soon got it to do rather better than that. wink 2

Well I'm one of the "new" boys having only been flying for a little over 12 years. I dabbled with all sorts of models prior to that and then finally took the plunge in 2003. It's well documented in build photos and video so I probably don't need to say much here. The VMAR Discovery actually flew very well and the first flight you see in the video was actually it's maiden, then if you listen carefully you can hear Matt Gradwell from Barnstormers Model Shop (now closed down) giving me instructions on my first flying lesson; you don't get that from HobbyKing etc!

dscf0004sml.jpg

Due to it's short life of about 6 flights I do not really look on this as the model I learned to fly with, that accolade goes to it's replacement an Irvine Tutor 40 which has been flown year in, year out ever since. Recently recovered in new film it has been put to many uses including, photo camera, live video feed (long before the term FPV was used), ski plane and bomber. Once again the maiden flight was performed by Matt at Barnstormers.

dscf0020ab.jpg

Edited By Ian Jones on 19/12/2015 14:40:30