Multiplex C of G Unit

After years of using the Mk 1 finger tips judiciously placed at the the intended (plan/kit) c of g position, I invested in the Multiplex "Schwerpunktwaage" C of G Unit Best Nr. 693054. This to inject some precision into my trimming and model pre-flight preparation.

No quibble with the quality of components and materials used for the device but the 'Beileitung' instructions !!!!

Anyone familiar with those poorly photocopied and therefore indistinct assembly notes accompanying certain flat pack furniture will surely know what I try to describe.

So I am at the final critical stages of assembly and try as I might to read & re-read the words of wisdom are no clearer to me.

Has anyone out there assembled one of these units and can help please?

PS

(I have downloaded a legible (but still no wiser) copy of the instructions from the MPX web site and I have requested assistance from Multiplex but they are up to their eyes with fixing EVO radio sets at the moment!)

Advert

Cap'n

I have one of these units and it took me some time to figure out how to put it together. (It comes apart much easier when you knock it off the shelf ).

I have taken a photo which might help........at least it would if I could figure out how to reduce it down to 256Kb      Can anyone help with that?

The thing is quite easy to use:

You set the front stops to the required position of the G of G back from the leading edge. The markings are in mm in reverse, ie  for a 95mm position of the C of G back from the leading edge, you move the stop 95mm forwards from the frame. (Hope that makes sense).

Adjust the rear sliding weights so that the arms remain horizontal (it helps to tap them a bit).

Adjust the width of the legs to suit the model and place it on the arms. The thing is very sensitive to changes in the C of G as you add weights, or if you have guessed an incorrect C of G position to start off . You get used to quickly grabbing the model as it tips violently over...........

Good luck! 

Hi Cap'n, I've got one of these too and had the same problems trying to read the destructions. The one thing that was not very clear was where to place the self-adhesive mm scale on the balance arms. As the scale does not start at zero you should measure back 45mm from the center pivot point then stick it down. The picture is not very good but it should give you the basic idea.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee181/luggins/IMG_0096.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Peter Ward I would love the picture, as I am thinking seriously of buying one. Do you have any of the programs. Photoshop

Photoshop Elements

Paint shop pro

Jessops image processor, If so I can probably advice, alternatively you can reduce the resolution on the camera, What camera do you have?

Peter

I had had one!!! SOLD, I got the Great Planes one, its a bit better and easier to use, as well as its bigger so if trying to find the C of g on a plane with a long u/c it does'nt hit the floor first with wheels... you know what I mean. The GP one was same price as Multiplex.