Mercury kit, Aeronca Sedan

A51, I haven't built the Sedan yet & I haven't got my own paper plan handy. However refering to the OZ PDF, the plan incidence looks to be about 1⁰ so I see no need to change it but I will probably reduce the downthrust to zero, using the longeron running along the bottom of the cabin as a datum for both angles.
Incidentaly the scale dihedral is 1⁰ under each wing, which again is what I'd go with.

OS 30fs would seem a good choice for a dirty power version. wink 2
Look forward to seeing some pics of your build & first flights .thumbs up

Advert

Afternoon Pat.

Its a ready built I picked up that I am retro fitting with ailerons, less dihedral and the dirty power version (DPV)! It has been built/covered but appears unflown as there is no oil residue/veggie option wiring/esc lurking inside...

Its a two peice wing so I am going to need to beef the cabin area mount, install wing tubes and small servos to the ailerons.... It feels very light as per the FF pedigree, so I'm sure it'll still perform with the added weight of motor/long range tanks/wing servos and wing mods..

I will grab the OZ plan as a reference.. the one I have is the Mercury kit..

I have purchased from a second hand shop, a nearly completed Mercury Sirocco, with the idea of converting it to 3 channel RC, using electric power. The plane appears to be well constructed and all the glue joints are still sound. (It was stored in a wooden box that the maker of the plane had constructed). I decided to check the strength of the main wing after reading this article and found that, in my opinion the wing construction is weak and the wing is likely to fold, just as explained in the article. The wing spar is just a piece of 1/8 x 1/8 balsa, along with balsa leading and trailing edges. I will add in another hard wood spar, maybe spars, and also strengthen the wing joint with some ply wood gussets. I guess it is how they built the FF back in the day. Thank you for drawing my attention to this issue.

Thanks for the additional comments here lads. Reading this and checking over the Aeronca last night, I do feel my covered unflown acquisition is very light! With an RC mod in mind and having reread this, I do feel a wing strengthing programme is going to be wise whilst fitting a wing tube and ailerons..

Os 30 four stroke sounds like a good choice for the increased weight..

Thanks again