An introduction to the 2016 PSSA Mass Build - A4 Skyhawk

Posted by Andy Meade on 12/02/2016 14:27:41:

You're not allowed to start that fighter until heavy transport unit has been finished!!

Managed to get in the workshop for an hour earlier and do some work on the "smaller" transport aircraft so should be okay for carrying the jet parts from Traplet to here!!!

(As long as the tailplane arrives!!!!!) cheeky

Posted by Phil Cooke on 12/02/2016 14:18:47:

Thats great news Dave!! Glad you will be joining in on this one. No probs in starting late, the 6 months we have allocated from 1st March to September will be more than enough time, the build really isnt that complex at all, especially if you have the laser pack - thats a huge time saver! Just dont leave it too late - dont want you rushing it at the end to make the September fly in! laugh

AS I didn't get to do the JP build I defo wanted to do this one!

I wont be leaving to late. Probably give myself 3 months!

And I wont be looking to do anything "different" on the colour scheme on this one!!

Also, If anyone is able to photocopy the build articles from that other mag!!!, Please can you let me know as I missed the Feb issue. Thanks.

It should all be clear from the plans Dave, its really not a complex build - the article just gives a few pointers which will help along the way - and of course a photo speaks a thousand words. There are many photos in the mag showing the build in progress.

I think the most challenging part of the build is the 'bending in' of the fuselage side tops over the front formers around F2 and F3, with the recommended use of ammonia here to help. Other than that its completely conventional.

Ill scan and email you the pages from Feb.

HI All, Graham here from new Australia, joining in on the sky hawk build. I am a noob at the forum thing so please forgive any time it takes to learn forum conventions I have served in the RNZAF so hope to do the TA4 conversion. ( if Flyer would like to share his thoughts on the mods needed it may help pleeese) the end result,I hope , will be the 50th anniversary gold colours, being a bit different And having a personal meaning for me. I have flown control line and free flight for years but only R/C for a few, am a keen sloper but so far only have PSS models on the building board not yet complete. I haven't found any Feb issue of RCMW that have come to Australia so if Phil is able to help with an email of the article I would also appreciate that. looking forward to getting to know you all. Cheers G

Posted by graham Gilliver on 12/02/2016 21:24:50:

HI All, Graham here from new Australia, joining in on the sky hawk build. I am a noob at the forum thing so please forgive any time it takes to learn forum conventions I have served in the RNZAF so hope to do the TA4 conversion. ( if Flyer would like to share his thoughts on the mods needed it may help pleeese) the end result,I hope , will be the 50th anniversary gold colours, being a bit different And having a personal meaning for me. I have flown control line and free flight for years but only R/C for a few, am a keen sloper but so far only have PSS models on the building board not yet complete. I haven't found any Feb issue of RCMW that have come to Australia so if Phil is able to help with an email of the article I would also appreciate that. looking forward to getting to know you all. Cheers G

HI Graham, I'll be doing a build log, so hopefully you can learn from my mistakes. This is going to be my first PSS model, so I'm sure the other members on here will help when I (we) get stuck. I will be sketching the amended plans for the 2 seater in due course, and the thought of making a lug for the canopy has been put firmly to the back of mind at present... secret

Hiya Graham, Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining us on the A-4 project! no probs with the scanned article, Ill get to the scanner over the weekend and email both you and Dave asap.

Looking forward to seeing these 2-seaters!! I had intended to draw both variants and give an option on the plan, but I ran out of time in the end... There are a lot of really cool schemes for the 2 seat Scooters, or Mongoose as I think they are also called.

Posted by Matt Jones on 12/02/2016 22:16:26:
Flyer, I've made a few canopy plugs recently as did Phil for the A4. It's not as hard as you think so don't be put off. It's people going the extra mile that makes events all the more interesting. Happy to help you out with advice

Thanks Matt, no doubt I'll be pinging you a mail in due course.

Ordered my plan few days ago. Due to high cost of S&H to Tokyo, Japan, decided to cut my own parts. Time consuming, but will have more fun doing so.

Duirng the Cold War era, JSDF(Japan Self Defense Force) adopted Lockheed F104 Starfighter as interceptor fighter. Which surprised many tax payers here at the time, because, according to press, Douglas A4 Skyhawk was said to be the plane of choice due to its versatlitiy. But, a SUDDEN change was made at the very last minute of the selection process. Time flew, and it so turns out that a huge political scandal called the Lockheed Scandal erupted in mid-70s forcing the PM at the time to resign. P3C Orions, another player in this scandal is still flying here today. This little trivia should give a clue to the markings and scheme I will be finishing my A4 in.wink

Toshiro in Tokyo

email sent this morning with the scanned copy of the RCMW Feb article.

Thanks Phil looks great, did the prototype need nose weight? will the almost 3" in front of the wing of a 'Tbird/ ugly' be a liability or an asset ?

Traplet have my money however I don't have a delivery date yet. looking forward to making a start.

I have used the ammonia technique quite a bit with compound curves on C/L stunt turtle decks and have found that elastic bandages hold every thing to the shape required very efficiently. for a more compound shape strapping several layers of thinner balsa helps. glued together when dry.

keep up the good work.

Hey Graham,

The prototype was initially balanced with a small slug of nose weight to achieve the 'as calculated' CoG position, but this proved to be too nose heavy with the test glides we performed away from the slope. Incrementally we took that out and then moved the Rx battery rearwards by an inch or so within its tubular housing. This gives us the balance point as shown on the plan.

So no, the extra nose length shouldn't cause you any problems IMO, but you will need to stop the Rx battery going any further forwards than in between the orginal plan position of F2 and F1.

Do please document your mods on the forum, I would like to see the changes you have to make to fuselage sides, former positions and the canopy. Who knows, you may start a few more 2-seater adventures!

Glad you are familiar with the ammonia methods, I think this is a new approach/material to many in the build.