An introduction to the 2016 PSSA Mass Build - A4 Skyhawk

Malcolm - F9 was never cut as part of the woodpack - its an end cap as opposed to a former really, so the final shape of it is really determined by the amount of sanding you do at the back end. Its shown on the plan slightly oversized for this reason. This way it can also be tailored to suit whatever diameter exhaust tube you use, if the 44mm tube as drawn is not easy to source (I used the top off a Liz Earle moisturiser tube on the prototype)

No...is Earle the new word to use at the slope instead of launching? And this is not to be confused with that English saying 'Women don't lunch they luncheon', so we now have the earle or get a mate to do it. Now luncheon in the male context is when two or more men throw their gliders, see it's easy I'm not a moron you know.

Posted by Mark Kettle 1 on 22/02/2016 23:58:43:

No...is Earle the new word to use at the slope instead of launching? And this is not to be confused with that English saying 'Women don't lunch they luncheon', so we now have the earle or get a mate to do it. Now luncheon in the male context is when two or more men throw their gliders, see it's easy I'm not a moron you know.

Do you all Olay when you launch/earle smiley

John

There's less than a week to go until the official A-4 Mass Build launch date on 1st March.

I've just treated myself to a new building board from B&Q and will prep the plan onto both sides of that ahead of the start date. Just a minor repair job to finish on another model before I can clear the bench for the Skyhawk.

Are your plans coming together for a timely start?? Will you be posting a blog on here so we can see your progression through Spring and Summer?? We have over 35 registered builders now, a truely international effort with participants from Australia, Japan, USA and Belgium as well as the UK. Bodes very well for a special event in September!

a-4 flight 3.jpg

Plan and wood pack still on its way but I have a new clean piece of plasterboard ready to accept pin holes, score lines and glue spots!

Ballerina is now clear of the deck but I may be a late starter whilst I finish my Vulcan and a slight repair to my Corsair!

Will be doing a blog too so you can all see who's ideas and tips I've pinched!

I've just purchased a new piece of plasterboard too as mine was falling apart.

I was hoping to cover the wing on my Thermal Instinct F5J this week, then I'd be clear for when my A4 kit arrives, but I just haven't had chance to do it. So I must get that finished next week as I'm away visiting family in Cornwall this weekend, (which means a crafty flying session on St Agnes Head) thumbs up

Thermal Instinct Wing

I shall be following every one else's blogs just to ensure I'm building mine correctly!

I think Phil preping his plan onto plasterboard before March counts as an illegal start laugh

After looking over my shoulder when flying my Supermarine Attacker the other year at the Lleyn meeting (the one where Phil's Jet Provost landed itself while he watched a Spitfire aerobatic show) and it burying itself into the hill side I've also got a minor repair to do before starting the Skyhawk.

Just need to polish out some minor scratches !

attaker1.jpg

attaker2.jpg

Good to hear from you John I was wondering whether you would be joining us on the A-4 venture - glad you are taking part!!

Yes my repair is a little simpler than that - the Attacker looks like a complex 3D puzzle - do you think you have all the bits??

Ill add you to the A-4 list John, that's 37 registered builds now thumbs up did you go woodpack or are you building from the plan??

I've never thought of plasterboard before - excellent idea!

I've previously used a bit of mdf or veneered chipboard - disadvantages -very hard and/or grainy.

John - the nose (not the bit behind it) on your Supermarine Attacker looks very unscathed - what's it made of? Mine end up looking like they've been sandblasted after similar arrivals.

Been struggling for time recently so went for the woodpack - so just F2 to cut out.

Missing a few bits of the Attacker 3D jigsaw so decision was made to rebuild that destroyed 4 inch of fuselage from scratch and use it to join it all back together. Started work on it last weekend, might create a "re-build blog" if it helps give others encouragement not to give up on what look like irreparably damaged airframes.

Hi Graham,

How long has your woodpack been on order? Traplet will send an email to you confirming despatch when they have done so. If its been more that 3 weeks I would give them a call +44(0)1684 588599 - no harm in verifying your order is in process.

No panic with the build and playing catch up, we've got a full 6 months until the September event. thumbs up

Thanks Phil,

It has not quite been 3 weeks yet and I'm dealing with the ozi traplet outlet, who seem to be keeping UK hours. i.e. only open while I'm asleep,

I am not worried about the catchup really, as from what I can see it looks a clean logical design and should build pretty quickly.I am keen to get the plan to try and add my 3" worth to get that T bird shape. am also looking forward to canopy plugs etc.

might even have to fit operating air brakes (love the red inner when they are deployed) our best slope has fairly restricted approaches and rocky landing area so slow won't hurt there either. G

Thanks Phil,

It has not quite been 3 weeks yet and I'm dealing with the ozi traplet outlet, who seem to be keeping UK hours. i.e. only open while I'm asleep,

I am not worried about the catchup really, as from what I can see it looks a clean logical design and should build pretty quickly.I am keen to get the plan to try and add my 3" worth to get that T bird shape. am also looking forward to canopy plugs etc.

might even have to fit operating air brakes (love the red inner when they are deployed) our best slope has fairly restricted approaches and rocky landing area so slow won't hurt there either. G

OK great. Traplet were quoting 10-15 working days from receipt of order as they were making the kits to order effectively having received a number of requests on mass post our launch. Then in your case they obviously have to shop to the other side of the planet too, I'm sure it will be on its way soon.

So it's the 1st March and the 2016 PSSA A-4 Skyhawk Mass Build is officially LAUNCHED!! party

Enjoy your builds - do use the RCMW magazine articles and the various threads and build blogs on here to help guide your way, there's more than enough time available and I'm sure they'll be plenty of banter along the way helping build a sense of community!!

I look forward to seeing you all with your new A-4s on the Great Orme September 10th/11th 2016.

More details on our event HERE.

mass build logo 750.jpg

Unfortunately, I was sent 2 wing plans with my laser parts and despite having contacted Traplet the same day (2 weeks ago), I am still waiting for them to send the fuselage plan!

Once this arrives, (hopefully this next week) I will be cracking on with a build blog as I prefer to start with the fuselage!

On a plus note, you are all allowing me to see your build pics which will be a great source of reference!

Keep them coming!