Air Cadets ( ATC)

Peter Android

When we moved to South Wales some 12 years ago, I had some spare model fuselages, wings, various spares etc to get rid of to make room.

I contacted two local Air Cadet groups to offer them the bits free, neither wanted them as, 'they don't do model planes'. surprise

Hopefully it is/was just a local thing. Or is it that canoeing, camping, and other outdoor sports are more interesting ?

Ray.

Edited By eflightray on 15/08/2016 13:26:31

Advert

One of our members is in the ATC. He brought 2 cadets to the field for an flying experience day. They were both 15 and girls, which is unusual for our hobby. On the face of it they both enjoyed the day and each had about 5 flights on a range of different models. Its something we'll certainly be doing again.

The cure for itchy tunics was to shave them then rub a candle over the shaved fabric. Same with the trousers and extra Soap along the crease line. When pressed you got really sharp creases . Not candle there as the heat made the wax melt and show on the outside .

Posted by Andrew Price 2 on 16/08/2016 09:52:39:

Thanks for that, onetenor. Around 60 years late and I doubt if will ever get back into that tunic again, but, may come in handy one day!! Be prepared and all that - Oooops!! - thats another life!

Yeagh they don't make the itchy tunics and trousers anymore but it was a handy tip to know at the time .Re being prepared .Yes I was a scout leader for a while although I had never been a scout being in the B.B. The lads in the troop were amazed at my knowledge which I picked up in the B.B. It was quite amusing to listen to them discuss it til they ceased to be amazed anymore . Nice to share experiences with you though.

Regards John

Posted by funflyerColin on 21/08/2016 22:27:19:

I was in 2524 Oakington Sqn back in the 80's and 90's, i was the chief radio operator here's a pic of myself at our radio set. Removed from a Lancaster as i was told.lanc radio web.jpg

It looks a though it could have done especially with that D/F. loop on top teeth Did you still use standard procedure or C/B parlance ?

Yep - cadets were trained in military radio procedures including the use of SINPO for reporting (S=Strength, I=Interference, N=Noise, P=Propagation, O=Overall) and not the chicken box 'signal report' of 'in the blood'. Amateur radio operators tend to use more 'Q' codes and their own international abbreviations (mostly from maritime radio procedures using Morse Code) and simplify the signal reports to 'RST' (Reception, Strength, Tone for Morse).

I remember installing a CB in a church one time (for broadcasting services to people unable to attend) and someone asked for a 'report and I told him "You're 5 and 9' (Reception 5, Signal 9, Tone not given as it was voice) - the top levels. He seemed to have it backwards and thought it should be '95' and when I explained all I got was "But how much in the blood am I?". I came to the conclusion years back that CBers hadn't a clue about radio procedure, mainly after hearing one on 11 metres calling "QRZDX. I'm QRT for a QSL"which translates as "what station is calling me long distance. I've shut the station down for a postcard". Correct procedure would be "CQDX, GI7OMY calling CQDX and standing by"

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 23/08/2016 01:56:40

I was in 40F Sqn, Maidstone Kent from 1959 to 1962. Great days, summer camps at Chivenor and Scampton and flying in Chipmunks at Manston, also marching through the town with scouts, sea cadets etc on remembrance parades. I too lied about my age to join at Courtnay Road drill hall which is where my dad joined up (Army) in 1939. I doubt if it's there now. I have the ATC to thank for getting me interested in radio which led eventually to a career in electronics and an amateur radio licence. No girls in the ATC back then!

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegI joined 425 (Aldridge) Squadron "B" flight in 1959 around my 13th birthday. It gave me a new insight in life and shooting experience, night exercises carrying a Lee-Enfield (disabled) etc, were great experiences. I flew in Chipmunks at Shawbury and RAF Waterbeach on summer camp. It caused me problems at school because we were supposed to spend three months at the Longdon summer school in the third form and I refused to go because of ATC. That queered my pitch with the headmaster for the rest of my time at the school. In 1963 I was made up to corporal and selected for glider training. However I had been overcome by my passion for motorbikes and my first love and packed in the ATC, something I have regretted ever since. While there I salvaged a complete set of AP/1480 aircraft sheets and bound them into an indexed book, which I still have. Here it is. Also I salvaged a copy of the 1943 edition of "Aircraft of the Fighting Powers, which I still have. I shouldn't have left, four years wasn't enough.

image.jpeg