Air Cadets ( ATC)

Peter Android

Posted by Peter Android on 09/02/2016 17:42:41:

Excellent Stuff , lots of happy memories from many people.

Chippie's from Church Fenton , buzzing York Minster , pour Moi' , wonderful days ..............

Herky Birds from Abingdon - Flying night - drops with the Para's ( Brave Souls )

Where have 48 years gone .

The opportunities are still there for the Lads & Lasses who may care to tear themselves away from their electronics for a while. ?

Sadly the opportunities are very limited for the Air Cadets at the moment. Their fleets of Grob 109 motor gliders (Vigilants) and Grob 103 gliders (Viking) have been grounded since April 2014, apparently due to a loss of maintenance records, and possibly some unrecorded sub-standard repairs. A very slow and expensive inspection process is still under way.

The good news is that by virtue of a handful of Air Cadet scholarships and the individual efforts of a number of cadets and their parents, a lot have been flown by Civilian & RAFGSA clubs. The cadets don't get to drive the 4x4s which tow cables and winches, but it would be a brave man who tries to go and retrieve a glider from down the airfield ahead of an Air Cadet. To paraphrase the NRA, 'if you want this golf buggy, you will have to pry it from my cold dead hands!'

Several Air Cadets in our club have gone solo, and are now working towards their Bronze 'C'.

Advert

Posted by Robin Colbourne on 09/02/2016 19:47:29:

Sadly the opportunities are very limited for the Air Cadets at the moment. Their fleets of Grob 109 motor gliders (Vigilants) and Grob 103 gliders (Viking) have been grounded since April 2014, apparently due to a loss of maintenance records, and possibly some unrecorded sub-standard repairs. A very slow and expensive inspection process is still under way.

The good news is that by virtue of a handful of Air Cadet scholarships and the individual efforts of a number of cadets and their parents, a lot have been flown by Civilian & RAFGSA clubs. The cadets don't get to drive the 4x4s which tow cables and winches, but it would be a brave man who tries to go and retrieve a glider from down the airfield ahead of an Air Cadet. To paraphrase the NRA, 'if you want this golf buggy, you will have to pry it from my cold dead hands!'

Several Air Cadets in our club have gone solo, and are now working towards their Bronze 'C'.

Good to know there are some good things going on Bob!

Though not directly involved , I am somewhat aware there have been cutbacks , but it's not all about flying and many a sow's earole' has been turned into a silk purse by virtue of their ( Air Cadet) training and initiative .

Becoming a 1st Class Citizen being the foremost .

Glad to hear you are still at the sharp end , and many will appreciate your efforts , but they may not realise this until later in life.

Cheers. P

Strange coincidence! Took the wife & kids to Cosford RAF Museum last Sunday and bored them by pointing out which aircraft I'd flown in and stories of camping at Cosford for the airshows!

I was in 230 (Congleton) sqn up to Sgt. They kicked me out when I grew up too much so I went back as a CI. Great times with great friends. Went solo in a Venture glider, a week in Bruggen, Germany camping at the end of the runway next to the Tornados taking off at 6am, Chippies at Shawbury, competition shooting, annual camps all over the UK.. Even pulled a Vulcan at Woodford for charity. (not on my own though)

My first camp at RAF Newton. First from the left, front row. Paul Marsh second from the right back row and the rest, all my good friends for many years! On the left my first CO Flt Lt Brian Mott. Used to be an AE on Vulcans. Smoked like a chimney but still acted like a cadet at times, especially when you'd known him for a few years. Absolute hero!

I used to love being a cadet, but even towards the end of my time with the ATC flying and other activities were being trimmed. If i looked at my 3822 my flying times (starting on bulldogs moving to grob 115's) were regularly 35 minutes with the odd 45 and even 50 minute flight. By the end it was a struggle to get over 15 minutes in the air.

A young lad at my club who i have taught to fly is in the ATC and he complained that when he went flying he was not actually allowed to fly the plane, just sit there like a lemon. In the 15 minute flight he got 2 minutes at the controls in straight and level flight. This was in contrast to a flight he took at booker gliding club were there was onl about 2 minutes in 20 he was off the controls.

All that said, i would like to join the new 558 squadron as their hq is the hanger in which XH558 lives. Now that sqn will have no trouble attracting members, although most will be modelers pretending to be 15 again for no reason other than to gaze longingly at the Vulcan! Alas i think it would be frowned upon!

The first thing we flew on/in with wings was a catapulted glider "thing" ! Forgotten what it was called ??

But the column could be locked elevator wise so you could not take off , then as you got better at not hitting the towing crew , you could do a very brief hop .

two teams of "volunteers" were on each leg of the bungee and they marched out and stretched it to a marker !! but not if the grass was wet !!!(laugh), a pin was pulled and you were off, keeping it straight and the wings level !

not as easy as the "real thing " I found ,

cheers

I joined in 1969 with 1838 Elm Park Sqn in West Essex Wing rising to the rank of CWO then AWO and I now find myself as a Flt Lt in command of 1476 Rayleigh Sqn in Essex Wing. I certainly got a lot out of the Corps and I am still friends with Sqn Ldr Terry Horsley who got mentioned in a previous post. The Corps has changed over the years but I still get a kick out of seeing the progress that the Cadets achieve during their time in the ATC, and long may it continue.

I joined 2109 Whixley squadron in 1959 and lied about my age to get in. I said I was 11 years old when I was 9 but no check was made and I was in. two weeks later I was in a chipmunk for a 20 minute air experience flight. I did another chippie flight then two mk 3 glider flights and a sedberg glider flight. also had a weak link break on launch and a very rough landing. shot 75 rounds of .303 at ranges and went for a week at RAF Halton by train. I remember being ushered into a hanger there and being shown a TSR2 which was being scrapped at the time. I used to hitch hike the 7 miles from York to whixley with my mate Jim twice a week ( Tuesday and Thursday}.I was made corporal and left in 1962. I have just recently found my log book so can verify my memories.

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 10/02/2016 08:40:10:

I used to love being a cadet, but even towards the end of my time with the ATC flying and other activities were being trimmed. If i looked at my 3822 my flying times (starting on bulldogs moving to grob 115's) were regularly 35 minutes with the odd 45 and even 50 minute flight. By the end it was a struggle to get over 15 minutes in the air.

A young lad at my club who i have taught to fly is in the ATC and he complained that when he went flying he was not actually allowed to fly the plane, just sit there like a lemon. In the 15 minute flight he got 2 minutes at the controls in straight and level flight. This was in contrast to a flight he took at booker gliding club were there was onl about 2 minutes in 20 he was off the controls.

All that said, i would like to join the new 558 squadron as their hq is the hanger in which XH558 lives. Now that sqn will have no trouble attracting members, although most will be modelers pretending to be 15 again for no reason other than to gaze longingly at the Vulcan! Alas i think it would be frowned upon!

Well Jon , these Cadets seem to be very happy ,and Good for them !

Thanks for pointing out another new Squadron in the making , no shortage of enthusiasm there , then.

**LINK**

**LINK**

Posted by Herri on 10/02/2016 18:34:40:

Happy days. 1962? Summer camp at Thornry Island. Only flight I was ever sick 😳

ATC Woking Squadron.

Atc-woking.jpg

Looks like an Argosy ( Whispering Tit) ? as Cadets on camp at R.A.F Abingdon circa 1969 ish., we were invited into the Control Tower to experience the Argosy's flying line - astern each doing touch and goes in turn .

Some of the comments / observations from Air traffic to Pilots and Vice - Versa were " eye opening " to say the least , not for the easily offended and mostly unprintable !

Also got to drive the Alvis Stalwart fire tenders ( under supervision) pre- select gearbox , magic vehicle .

Nice Pic. Herri

I enjoyed my years as an air cadet with 177 squadron in Winnipeg [Canada]. Went to Sea Island one summer in a Lockheed Hercules C130. I remember the water dripping onto us as we flew over the mountains, sitting along the walls in webbed seats.

I don't know what type of plane we are in front of, not the Herc, that's for sure.1961-air cadets.jpg

My lad is just about to leave Air Cadets as he has joined the Army and starts at AFC Harrogate in four weeks time, but he can confirm that ATC is a shadow of its former self. He joined when he was 13 and has been in for four years, but in that time has had two flights only. One was 30 minutes in a Grob Tutor and the other was one of the last flights of the Seaking. The problem with flying over the last few years has been partly major problems with the Tutor, which developed a habit of shedding prop blades, and problems getting Air traffic control cover at weekends. This latter problem has taken a year to resolve and air experience flying is only now restarting, now from Wittering. Having said that, he has had a marvellous time with Cadets and next week is off to Wales for a week of adventure training. Great organisation that has done an outstanding job of helping my lad to become a mature, responsible, disciplined, polite and thoroughly well rounded young man. Long may it continue!

Posted by Gordon Brown on 12/02/2016 18:19:46:

Great organisation that has done an outstanding job of helping my lad to become a mature, responsible, disciplined, polite and thoroughly well rounded young man. Long may it continue!

My sentiments entirely ,and wish your lad every success .

P.

Gordon Brown

If your lad is still keen on flying then the Army Gliding Association do a very good deal for those serving. He could also get in at either RAFGSA or RNGA sites as well.

Adventure training can include gliding, my club runs 7 courses a year for such people.

Gordon

• 6 months later...

194 (BSA) Squadron, albeit briefly, due to imminent O-levels.

Recall "waddling along like a pregnant duck" on a church parade, with a Lee Enfield rifle that was almost as big as I was, and spending evenings learning aircraft identification, from old WWII silhouette cards.

Should Heinkel or Dornier bombers appear over Brum, once again, call me!

XK50

I was in 1146 North Devon squadron. We were lucky as RAF Chivenor was local and I was able to go solo in a Slingsby Cadet Glider We used Exeter for Air experience on Chipmunks.

I had one flight also from Chivenor in a Chippie and the flight included doing aerobatics over the North Devon coast. I was also lucky to be good at aircraft recognition and was a member of our team that won the Southern Region contest which was held I recall at White Waltham. I eventually left to join the RAF back in 1969.

Fantastic experience and memories which included summer camps at RAF Gaydon, RAF Gutersloh and RAF Watton (in 1966). I also recall flying from Gaydon in a Vickers Varsity via RAF Barkston Heath to RAF Gatow (Berlin).