Do you fancy a new Air Show?

Whilst a lot of work has gone into getting this far and there's still lots to do and arrange, especially in light of the Shoreham disaster, enough has been finalised to announce that RAF Scampton are taking up the mantle in the form of a new Air Show to replace the one lost at Waddington.

The official website is here, more news to follow: **LINK**

The date isn't set in stone yet but there's enough to get this bird off the ground.

Edited By John F on 20/02/2016 07:08:27

Advert

Sounds encouraging and an airshow at Scampton would certainly get my support.

While we're on the subject of airshows, Duxford has decided to make all of its airshows all ticket affairs with no tickets on the gate. I have mixed feelings about their reasons for going down this route as a regular attendee of their shows, but I suppose we'll just have to see how it works out.

A new air show is good news, given the number that we seem to be losing at the moment. Let's hope it gets off the ground... (sorry for the deliberate pun!)

As for Duxford going advance-ticket only - no mixed feelings from me, I find it rather disappointing. I've been to quite a few Duxford shows over the years, and never bought an advance ticket, even for the 'sell-out' show 18 months ago when the Canadian and British Lancasters flew together and drew massive crowds. Though it was a very early start that day for me, to get there in time to have a reasonable chance of a ticket. I often don't decide for certain whether or not to go to a Duxford show until a few days before, and choosing whether to go on a Saturday or Sunday (or at all) is often down to the weather. If I had to commit to going a couple of weeks ahead, I'm not I'd risk my £30(ish) given that it could rain all day on the day I commit to.

I agree with you John. I've just gambled sixty quid on Sunday tickets for the Flying legends in July but was not prepared to roll the dice for good weather at the earlier American Airshow. My mixed feelings stem from wondering if Duxford's management see the recent airshow changes (after Shoreham) as a convenient way to justify all ticketing and thus eliminate their risk of bad weather financial losses?

I have a feeling that the shows will be a sell-out and the traffic chaos will still occur. I'm frustrated that money has not been invested in the past by making the access to Duxford easier - they certainly have enough space for additional feeder roads off the A505 and preventing many of the problems.

Their decision to stop the Autumn airshows recently is also baffling. They were always well attended but nowhere near the chaos of the bigger days given the chilly weather in October.

Edited By Cuban8 on 20/02/2016 10:19:21

I agree with John P and Cuban. This change is money making ploy to prevent losses in the event of poor weather hitting attendance. I personally wont buy any tickets until I have a weather report to look at so I will wait until about a week before the show. If that means that all the tickets are gone before I am ready to book then so be it. I cant afford to waste 100 quid (ticket, fuel, burgers etc) and stand in the rain all day.

For those going to Duxford you will also have to pay £5 for parking when it used to be free and if you are taking your kids you will find that the child price has risen from about £8 to £19. This makes it a very expensive day out for a family and I am sure will reduce attendance.

So, it looks like I will only be going to shows at Old Warden this year, which lets face it is hardly a burden!

As for Scampton, that is great news and I hope they make a goer of it like the show at Yeovilton. Its a bit far for me to drive, but given that my grandfather was stationed there when on Vulcans it might be nice to go up there at least once.

Edited By Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 20/02/2016 10:41:24

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 20/02/2016 10:40:36:

As for Scampton, that is great news and I hope they make a goer of it like the show at Yeovilton. Its a bit far for me to drive, but given that my grandfather was stationed there when on Vulcans it might be nice to go up there at least once.

Edited By Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 20/02/2016 10:41:24

There's lot of people working hard to get this going plus it's now been put out to the local news agencies **LINK** as well as out to the official airshow channels and the creation of the new website, so they're committed to get it working.

It's an ever increasing theme of pre sale only.

I think it's for several reasons.

Firstly it's guaranteed income regardless of the weather or other factors on the day.

Secondly it makes for easier preparation, risk assessment, access, parking etc as there's no messing about on the day.

Thirdly as currently the major issue for me is the anticipated cost of administration as a result on the CAA.

I've never been in favour of taking a chance of advanced tickets, although we've been going to Waddington for at least 6 years and have bought the tickets at a local Morrisons a few days before, by which time the forecast is more reliable.

Posted by ChrisB on 20/02/2016 18:58:59:

Secondly it makes for easier preparation, risk assessment, access, parking etc as there's no messing about on the day.

above statement is correct ,unfortunately guys most shows are heading this way ,RIAT been like this for a few years now , not sure but I think old warden last show of season & the Yorkshire show at church Fenton was last year , no different to any thing else really car fest , Glastonbury etc

andy

Posted by lightning 759 on 20/02/2016 19:32:31:

above statement is correct ,unfortunately guys most shows are heading this way ,RIAT been like this for a few years now , not sure but I think old warden last show of season & the Yorkshire show at church Fenton was last year , no different to any thing else really car fest , Glastonbury etc

andy

That's why for the last couple of years I've gone to one of the local farms near to the runway at RIAT, that allow you to park for the day and just watch the flying display in comfort (catering and toilets on site), all for a tenner for the day, and you don't have to book in advance.

Steve

Edit: I must add that the other reason I do this is that I have difficulty walking any great distance and I find this much easier.

Edited By Essjay on 20/02/2016 20:01:25

Posted by Essjay on 20/02/2016 19:58:37:
Posted by lightning 759 on 20/02/2016 19:32:31:

andy

That's why for the last couple of years I've gone to one of the local farms near to the runway at RIAT, that allow you to park for the day and just watch the flying display in comfort (catering and toilets on site), all for a tenner for the day, and you don't have to book in advance.

Steve

Edit: I must add that the other reason I do this is that I have difficulty walking any great distance and I find this much easier.

Edited By Essjay on 20/02/2016 20:01:25

i.m lucky as I work at RIAT as a volunteer otherwise I think I would be doing the same , don't know if the fallout from Shoreham will close some of these off site field thinking mainly the one under the display axis on the hill

andy

Edited By lightning 759 on 21/02/2016 08:10:57