Internet and the Phone.

Erfolg

I believe that they would have given you an estimate of performance (not just "up to" which is marketing speak) when you applied. If your connection doesn't perform to this minimum after BT have tried to resolve any problems with the line or your wiring, then as far as I know, you can cancel your contract. You can get an estimate here - see if your details give a significant difference...

Contact customer services (try to get put through to a UK centre - I can't remember the exact process but insisting on speaking to customer services usually works).

I had a little trouble getting offshore teams to understand my requirements recently when I realised my broadband/TV package wasn't optimum, but as soon as I got through to the UK Broadband team my concerns were addressed very efficiently. I have to admit to some inside knowledge of BT (not consumer broadband) but my connections were severed when I retired a couple of years ago and I am now a normal customer paying normal rates. My own honest experience over more than 20 years of internet connectivity via dial-up, ISDN and broadband is good reliability (with the exception of an external line problem causing noise on voice calls as well as intermittent broadband problems) which I had resolved via normal channels but frustration with the offshore call centres - well meaning individuals but limited effectiveness.

Advert

Due to a mixture of reticence and laziness, I have been with BT since the birth of the internet via dial up and eventually super fast Broadband.

I find the service fast enough, and very reliable. My wireless router in is a back bedroom/study and this gives good wifi connectivity throughout the house, garden and front drive.

When I have had problems, I find the mixture of guided self help and call centre contact to be first class. For example, my btinternet.com email account was compromised a while ago. When the self service recovery failed, I called the contact centre and was answered in India. The call was efficient, clearly understood and young Raj had my password reset in less than five minutes.

I guess that for the believer we don't need any evidence, and for the sceptic there is never sufficient evidence!

Posted by cymaz on 22/02/2016 22:10:13:

I'm with Sky phone and broadband. Never had a problem, their customer service is great. They always try to help and you always get some sort of resolution.

My router has been playing up by dropping out the Internet now and again. Phoned them up.." oh, she said I see it's nearly 7 years old, I will speak to my supervisor ". A few days later new router, cable and filters and free !

Forgot to mention, I'm quite near the exchange.....that really doesn't help Erfolg....sorry

Edited By cymaz on 22/02/2016 22:13:08

I'm on Virgin BECAUSE of Sky's abysmal customer service and intermittent internet connections! Yet Plusnet gave me excellent service for years until I decided I wanted a TV/Broadband package.

it seems that service levels depend on where you are, what colour underwear you wear when calling them, the phase of the moon and what the service contact had for breakfast. My personal experience is that only Sky are consistently bad.

Posted by Robert Parker on 23/02/2016 20:46:35:

I was fed up of the slow broadband speed I was getting around 12-15, however, after changing over to BT claiming I would get upto 24 they did point out that it would take a few days for the speed to "settle" after I changed over. 8 weeks on the other day I got a disappointing 1.7!!!!!!

Wow - only around 12-15 mbps and now a disappointing 1.7 mbps. In our village, we struggle to get much more than 1.1 mbps and were promised an upgrade to 2 mbps by Dec 2015. Guess what? No upgrade! Some folk are even getting only 0.5 mbps. The problem, as ever, is that if you live out in the sticks you are one of the 10% who are just not worth providing a decent broadband service. I see that OFCOM are now considering allowing other companies to use BTs cable tunnels and telegraph poles to run their own fibre networks. Let's hope some of these companies take up that opportunity - but I'm not holding my breath!