Elf mini DLG - is this still the best option?

EJ Wheeler

Hi. I went to the long marston model airshow last year and saw a couple of people launching the Elf DLG gliders and controlling them in such a small area (and between cars and caravans!) I thought I'm getting one of those soon.

So after a lot of researching online, the elf still seems to be a good first dlg option.

Although, it is a few years old, is there anything else that's come along?

It doesn't have ailerons - so am I going to out grow it fast and want something that will do more?

(I have a Taranis TX already as have also caught the racing quadcopter bug and built a QAV250.)

Advert

The Elf is a fun model for small spaces, but don't kid yourself - thermaling something this small away from a hand launch is much harder than with a full size 60" DLG. This is partly because you can't throw it as high, and partly because aerodynamically it's significantly disadvantaged by it's small span and lack of flaps. They also don't fly as well in wind due to their very light weight. Good for a laugh on a calm summers evening, but a second hand 60" DLG might be a better investment in the long run.

Thanks Matty. That last time I was involved with model planes was with a flat plan, balsa wood, dope varnish and about 30 years ago! But, I wouldn't want to buy a glider that I'd not find challenging - yet I don't want to spend too much initially. Where is the best place to find a second hand DLG? I have searched the net, but DLG seems a distance hobby (excuse the pun)!

I love the little Elf, it may not have the capabilities of the more sophisticated DLGs but as a casual fun fly model it is difficult to beat. I've had numerous flights of 10mins+, but many more of 30seconds-! I did try a flapped + aileron DLG for a season but for these aging muscles I found the Elf much easier to launch. You are limited to about 8knots max wind however.

Swapmeets, Ebay or BMFA Classifieds for second hand, but do not buy sight unseen, DLGs can lead a hard life. Hyperflight for new, highly recommended.

Thanks for your replies - I'm still quite keen on the ELF - I realise that it will have its limitations but think it'll be a good introduction to RC Gliders. Correct me if I'm wrong... plus it looks reasonably simple to put together compared to the Dreamflight Libelle for instance.

I will only probably want to fly on calm days because when it is windy I would probably go Kite landboarding. The DLG is my option for the days when there is little or no wind.

Both the Elf & the Libelle are a doddle to build. I never really got on with my Libelle & sold it on, but can't deny in the right hands it's a fine flying machine. However if I lost my Elf I'd replace it with another the same day.

Remember you will need 4 servos for the Libelle but only 2 for the Elf. Contrast & compare here: Elf Libelle

Anyone tryed the E-flite UMX Whipit?

• 1 year later...

The Elf is a great model, goes up on nothing so you don't have to throw it very high.

When i started the DLG bug hit me bad and in the space of about 4 weeks i went from a Libelle to the Elf and then the Blaster 3.

The Libelle is a good model but not really a good dlg, the peg is too far forward and it's just too bendy all over to throw very high, more of a light wind sloper with a peg in the tip for some flat field fun.

It's quite light, so struggles with any sort of breeze, but calm days and summers evenings it's a winner. Fit it out with 2 SD100 servos and small 1s 300mah lipo and you're good to go.

I also have the Whipit, flies well in dead calm, ive never been able to get it in any sort of proper lift though, lives on top of the wardrobe now. Fun model but i think that soon wears off like most of the UMX models.

Mark