Syma X8W quadcopter aerial view range test with 5db antenna fitted

I fitted a 5db antenna on my Syma tx to give more reliable range. Range is actually similar probably to that achieved with the standard dipole originally set up inside the tx. But I assume it will have a better signal strength? Range is basically limited by my eyesight. I can get the little quad as high as I dare without losing sight of it!

Advert

It's really hard to say, the wide angle lens on the camera exaggerates the height. I've been tempted to put a bluetooth vario on the quad and I have paragliding software on my smart phone that would let me see the height gain. Trouble is, I doubt the bluetooth will have enough range. Must be a good few hundred feet. People have tested that Syma to nearly 300 metres with the standard little 2.4ghz dipole.

No - its not "a bit naughty" - it's illegal. I've removed it, for your good and the forum's protection.

Regarding this and a previous thead Bob I really think you need to read the ANO, articles 166 & 167. If you have read them, then I suggest you read them agian, because you don't seem to have understood them! It would be advisable for you to have alook at CAP722 as well for some guidance on how the law might be interpreted.

BEB

The output power of 100mW is the output power of the TX multiplied by the gain of the antenna. Most 2.4 GHz transmitters have an actual output of 60mW, which when multiplied by the gain of the antenna (typically 2dB) gives 100mW ERP (Effective Radiated Power).

Using an antenna with a gain higher than 2dB will exceed the ERP regulations. It will also be more directional ie: have deeper "dead-spots".

--

Pete