And You Think You Sometimes Work Hard On The Sticks

Advert

Does make me wonder what these pilots get out of it - I mean basically they are just abusing their bodies while being tightly strapped into a chair - seems to me that the enjoyment factor is actually what the spectators on the ground experience.

Posted by Percy Verance on 02/04/2016 09:16:59:

Hi BEB

Re: the third husband thing....

I'm not sure I assumed? I think I simply read it wrong.

It's a bit like the girl who opened the door in her nightie, or the woman who asked to try on the dress in the shop window..........

Edited By Percy Verance on 02/04/2016 09:17:24

Ah yes, its like "We were going down the river in a conoe whilst fishing for salmon in corduroy trousers."

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 02/04/2016 11:02:13

Posted by Wingman on 02/04/2016 10:17:18:

Does make me wonder what these pilots get out of it - I mean basically they are just abusing their bodies while being tightly strapped into a chair - seems to me that the enjoyment factor is actually what the spectators on the ground experience.

Yes, but I think that would be true of many professional sportsmen these days when it seems to be necessary to go to extremes in order to simply be competative. I am sure though that exerciseing that degree of skill - not to mention the "fame factor" does have its appeal and pleasures.

To be fair aerobatic pilots have a number of tensing and breathing techniques they use to protect their bodies - you can see Svetlana squating down and tensing her stomach muscles in the positive G manoeuvres - our friend in the video above doesn't and hence blacks-out when all the blood leaves what he charming refers to as his brain for his legs!

Although the negative G forces are usually less sever, in some ways they do pose bigger physical problems - its much harder to stop the blood from going to your head than it is to stop it going to your legs. A common problem aerobatic pilots have a bloodshot eyes caused by rupturing of the small blood vessels in the eye under high negative G.

BEB

Adrenaline - possibly both the best and worst high known to man - try it!

edit - possibly one of the most addictive drugs known too face 1

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 02/04/2016 11:39:39

keeping with my fav planes this time sukhoi 37,i know you cant really tell and hes got the suit and things but he looks quite relaxed.apperently as easy to fly as your normal aerobatic ship just at 20 tons and a price to suit.

Not really. It isn't abuse at all. That's implying ill effects ensue or long terms health is encountered. The faces that aircrew make whilst doing the anti G straining maneuver is just part of the training and not al aircrew pull such weird faces.

I work at the Centre of Aviation Medicine and are part of the team who teach aircrew all about the effects of various flight environments to aircrew; G being one of them. (well, for another two months anyway) It becomes normal to counter the effects and almost as natural as the muscle memory you employ whilst changing gear driving a car.

The aircrew enjoy the flying but to get into a position whereby you're doing an aerobatic schedule and not enjoy it just doesn't happen.

Posted by AndyD on 02/04/2016 14:06:40:

probally my favorite male aerobatic pilot Peter Besenyei,does mad crazy stunts but here with her truely so for me the best of both worlds.

Wow! That is a hell of a flat turn he pulls at about 48 secs in. How the hell he doesn't stall the inner wing is beyond me!

BEB

Brian Lecomber - who I have only just discovered, sadly died in Sept 2015 - gave a talk at my club just a few years back, He showed an in cockpit DVD and also sold copies. Wish I'd bought one

Not sure if this clip is from that same DVD, but here's some footage of the man in action. One of the great names in British aerobatics

**LINK**