maxthrust riot xl

Alan Cardwell 1

Advert

The XL uses what look like hairy mylar hinges, no signs of flutter when I maidened mine last week. I did notice more flex in all the hinges after flying it though.

However....

Even with the 4000 mahr pack I had to put in quite a bit of down trim. I had swapped the prop for an APC15*7E which seems to give a reasonable performance - Riot? - not exactly, Mild Objection maybe. Easy to fly, reasonably aerobatic, doesn't want to flick - yet! I have a feeling the thin wire pushrod, small servo and flexible elevator may be limiting the elevator authority, next time out it will have more movement. I that doesn't work maybe a better servo will fix it. Flaps work well but need quite a bit of down elevator mixed in.

I did maiden it in a fresh 90 degree crosswind and misjudged the landing resulting in a tip catching. The half cartwheel broke the engine mounting bulkhead and an internal u/c support(both well fretted liteply, no surprise there then) and weakened the rear fuselage at the point where the tailplane is thickest.

All fixed easily enough with birch ply reinforcing plates on the u/c and motor mounts, and 4 off 5*0.5mm carbon strips set into the rear fuselage. Depending on the weather it may get a re-try this weekend.

Hiya Bob,

Many thanks for your input re the riot xl I collected mine today and on checking it over I agree with all your observations. My local model shop (model and hobby world Lancaster) have ordered me some batteries so can't maiden it yet, inthe meantime I will do the mods you have done, thanks again. By the way the model shop is fantastic if you are ever up this way call in for a coffee they are a majic bunch of lads.

Kind Regards

Alan

• 1 month later...

HIya all,

Finally got round to assembling the Riot XL, all went together fine but one thing to be aware of, all the control horns on my model were loose so I spent a couple of hours replacing the screws holding them on and just to be on the safe side a smear of cyano (foam safe of course) on both the horn and the back plate other wise it appears to be a great bit of kit. All I need now is a little less wind and away we go.

Regards

Alan

Posted by Alan Cardwell 1 on 13/05/2016 18:53:17:

and just to be on the safe side a smear of cyano (foam safe of course) on both the horn and the back plate other wise it appears to be a great bit of kit.

It's worth pointing out that foam-safe CA isn't necessary for EPO models - indeed, it works far less well than normal CA. The foam-safe CA is meant for EPS as used on many older foam models - where it works pretty wellwink 2

Pete