Oracovering

Paul H

I am currently covering the wings and tail of an Xtra Wot with Oracover. The base covering is white and I want to trim with Oracover on top. Some pieces will be quite large and I would be grateful for any advice on how to do this and avoid trapping air bubbles. Many thanks Paul.

Advert

Hi Paul

If you take a look at the model I've just finished, this is completely finished in Oracover. The trick is to only use small overlaps on the different colours, This is done by producing a series of templates, either from card or heavyweight paper, enables the various colours being cut out and carefully applied with the overlap that has been allowed for. To apply trim over a fully covered wing will cause problems. The method I've outlined (forgive the pun) takes time but it is worth it. The customer was pleased with it anyway.

Stevedsc00107.jpg

If you spray the base covering with water with a SMALL amount /1 drop of dish wash liquid in it Then apply the teim colour to the wet surface This allows positioning to the piece and the ability to remove air bubbles. Use a soft pad/ duster / to apply pressure from the centre outwards to remove the water and the trapped air goes wit h it leaving a perfectly flat smooth surface.Works for any smooth surd]face .Glass paint /plastic/paint etc.Try it you'll be amazed at how simple it is..Good luck

John

If you do get a bubble just prick it with a pin then use the iron to drive the air out. I've had success using the soapy water trick with stick trim films and large decals, but not so much with film on film.

I'm with Steve, if you want large coloured areas, trim the base colour to leave a smallish overlap, eg:

half way on the wing

Mustfire ARTF.jpg

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 09/04/2016 09:43:39

• 2 years later...
Posted by Paul H on 08/04/2016 12:06:22:

I am currently covering the wings and tail of an Xtra Wot with Oracover. The base covering is white and I want to trim with Oracover on top. Some pieces will be quite large and I would be grateful for any advice on how to do this and avoid trapping air bubbles. Many thanks Paul.

If your using Profilm or Oracover for decoration you will need to first degrease the base film as it can have tiny amounts of release agent on it . Panel wipe from a car body shop works very well or a wipe over with some acetone will work fine . You will need to set your covering iron very low and gently work across the decor pushing any air as you go it.is time consuming but providing your iron is set low . I mean low enough so as not to shrink or distort the film and only hot or should I say warm enough to make the adhesive tacky .Ant mistakes can be rectified by lifting the piece and statrting over or if its an odd bubble a pin will do to let the trapped air out and then iron down. Once its on and your happy turn the heat up and seal it down.

A better method would be to us Pro-Trim or Solar-Trim if you can find it . its a Self adhesive film . The method described in earlier post is to cut decor to shape spray the area to be covered and the adhesive side of the decor with water with a tiny amount of washing up liquid . Slide into position and squeegee out the liquid with a soft rubber squeegee or an old credit card. Again de-grease surface to be covered before starting.. Leave a few days before flying to allow the adhesive to dry out and set thoroughly..

Both these methods work OK on flat or single curved areas but compound curves will need some heat and thats a different ball game where the final trimming will have to be done with a scalpel on the model.

Its all down to practice and getting your chosen method right. personally I prefer the self adhesive material like Pro-Trim , Solar-Trim etc You can also get off cuts of self adhesive film from sign makers shops . its a little heavier but still works well

Posted by buster prop on 19/08/2018 09:32:01:

Now that Solarfilm is out of production I am about to cover a new build with red Oracover. Will Primol and Balsaloc that I used to use with Solarfilm, work with other covering films?

bala -loc or similar will improve the adhesion to the model on most coverings that use heat activated glue.

Primol doesn't usually work on polyester coverings like Oracover as it was designed for Solarfilm original that was a polypropelene material and Primol actually etched into the surface to improve adhesion on overlap joints Suggest trying some scrap pieces first

As already said in earlier post Oracover will stick very well to itself so Primol should not be needed. Clearcoat will be missed however and I don't know of any replacement as yet . I think it is still available but for collection only from Solar products, not good if you live far away! To fix edges onto wood DeLuxe prodocts "Cover Grip" is very good , far better than Balsaloc .

Posted by trebor on 21/08/2018 10:33:34:

Not sure what I am going to use once my tin of Clearcoat runs out crying I use it for everything.

Me to .crying Its the best fuel proofer , litespan adhesive and covering to wood sealer /adhesive I cant find any substitute out there . I may speak to our local car paint factors and see if there is anything their suppliers can provide .

A good cottage industry/business for any budding entrepreneurs out there. I might have given it a go 20 years ago .