Motor mount

Glyn44

Hi all,

I am trying to convert a seagull spacewalker from ic to electric. My problem is that the fibreglass cowl is somewhat lengthy and I will have to use a standoff type motor mount to to get the prop in the correct position. My question to you is this.

I do not have access to the rear side of the firewall to fix retaining nuts to standoffs or bracket bolts. So what is my best option, self tappers, wood screws, adhesive etc. The firewall is ply, which I can add to its thickness by adding more depth on the front side if needed.

Your advice will be much appreciated.

Kind regards,Glyn.

Advert

I have looked at some pics of S/Gull Sapcewalker on the net.

Yours must be diferent to the ones I have looked at.

Could you not use blind T nuts, you only need limmited access to the rear from near the wing seat.

Drill a hole the size of the plain shank of the T nut to be used,,,, get a closed loop conector of the right tread size as the T nut atach it to some fishing line or cable and feed it through the B/Head firewall untill it comes out in the fuz,, Screw on a  T nut and gently pull it through untill it locates in the firewall then with pliyers grip the treaded conector and gently pull it so the prongs grip in,, remove the conector and replace with a bolt and washer and tighten up to pull the T nut fully home.

I am not familluar with this Model but the above may help

Bert

Edited By bert baker on 25/04/2016 12:37:00

Hi Glyn44,

I assume that you have t-nuts installed in the firewall for the IC motor mount. Can't you just use these to attach an extension for the new motor mount. That can be made in the form of a sturdy plywoodbox (interlocking joints) attached with long screws to the old t-nuts. You can then install t-nuts in the front panel of the box that fits the new electric motor. Short extensions or washers can be installed to provide the required clearance between the retaing screws and the back of the electric motor. Just using glue might be tricky in an old IC model with the risk of oil having soaked into the firewall.

Per

The above solution was provided while I was typing. A good simple one if you can access the back of the firewall. I thought you didn't have that.

Edited By Norrland on 25/04/2016 12:44:31

Edited By Norrland on 25/04/2016 12:46:57

Thanks to all,

I'm afraid to admit I was being rather dim. I just never thought the ic mount would have captive nuts behind, but it did of course. I feel foolish now. One good thing to come out of this was model fixings. I did not know about them. I do now, and will be perusing their shop tonight.

Thanks again, and I promise to buck up take up bowls or something!

Regards Glyn