Blade CX2 C of G?

Tim Kearsley

Hi all,

I bought one of these great little helicopters at North Weald last weekend, just to have something to play with indoors, when the weather doesn't permit flying activities!

I soon noticed that, with the battery pushed fully forward, so that the Velcro fastening makes contact, the heli balances rather nose-heavy.  This was confirmed by needing a LOT of back elevator trim to keep it level in the hover.

Anyone else noticed this, or is it peculiar to my particular model?  I've attached a small weight to the bottom of the tail fin and it hovers "hands-off" now with no trim settings.

Be interested to know if anyone else has noticed this and if and how you fixed it.

Cheers,

Tim.

Hiya Tim.

I have had a Blade CX2 for about 9 months now and have added various mods to it. I haven't noticed this with mine and I can't believe I have seen or hear of anyone else reporting the samething. I have removed the plastic rear body and replaced it with a carbon fibre boom bought via ebay from the USA. I have bought an extra battery from SMC which is longer than the E-flight battery and I did notice that it did upset the balance of my heli, as it stuck out longer at the rear and made it drift back. So now I only use the E-flight batteries and use the longer battery for testing the controls and turning. I haven't flown with it for ages.

Regards

Si

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the quick reply.  Interesting comments.  It might be peculiar to my model, though I would have thought that they would all be very similar in component weight, position etc.  Maybe others have just trimmed out the imbalance, which wouldn't be diificult to do.  I just like to have things as near proper balance as I can.  It's certainly a nice little model, and extremely stable.

I too have just ordered a couple of extra batteries, as the supplied charger seems to take quite a while to charge the LiPo fully.

Cheers,

Tim.

Tim,

I am like you to and try to get near excellent balance and trimmed and sometimes wonder if I trim it to near perfect too much than flying. Another good tip in time when you are looking at upgrading your Blade. I bought a pair of new motors from the states and I notice a hugh different in response and control and it flys a lot better. I have had mine out flying outside on a good day and had some great height and control. You can check out my video on You tube called new years day flight by carbon tiger. Remember the slightest bit of wind and make it understable and I have learnt that lession.

Well got to go as I am going to race my rc buggy now that the rain has stopped.

Regards

Si.

hi guys ive got a cx2 the only problem ive had is it spins on its own axis clockwise but its a lot slower a/clockwise ive changed blades. and motors its still the same. i did notice one servo arm was one hole out to the other .its a little better after correcting it. but its a tough little heli and good fun i fly mine outdoors as often as pos. even in quite blowy conditions scary sometimes but fun. Kevin

Kevin, have you tried setting the proportional pot? Also I have found that if you use a number of batteries, they are all different as some may give out more power than older ones. I have notice that my Blade likes to nose right abit and it is sometime different when I change batteries. Another thing could be the motors maybe drawing different amount of power which may cause one to work more than the other causing it to spin. Remember you can never get you Blade 100% perfect and if you can, I haven't meet anyone who has one.

Hope this helps.

Si

hi simon proportion o.k. the motors are new .your right about batteries. ive tried different blades as Horizon said the lowers could be soft no change. your also right about not getting it 100% it doesnt spoil my enjoyment though. its a tough little thing ive only spent a tenner on it in 4 months. not like my honeybees. theyre a pain. Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I've got the blade cx2, and mine's the same. I've had it for a week.  Spins quicker clockwise than anticlock.  It's the first twin rotor i've had , so i assumed it was part of the twin- rotor design.

It's a great little heli. I've had a fp twister and pocket zoom, but this is the best one for flying in the house.   I've been a handed flier, always flying clockwise circuits, but  with this i've flown anticlock and nose in which i couldn't do with the others indoors.  I know it's easier to fly , but you still have to put in the correct inputs to fly it.      ** Next for practicing will be backwards flying.**

Hi all,

Another idea what the problem could be when the helicopter yaws or spins one way or another. Check the inner shaft (for the upper rotor blades) screw at the bottom end. If it has come undone slightly it will not grip on the shaft and the motor will not be able to turn the shaft properly. I have had this problem once on mine and might be what some other people are experiencing.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi again Simon never had any luck on E-BAY put a few things on there sold none. nearly got scammed by an African who sent me a bogus cheque for £3000 for some books which i was selling for £175 wanted me to send him the difference. i might look thick but not that thick. reported it to the police nothing ever got done so destroyed his cheque. so not a big fan of the site. ill just keep the stuff and if anyone posts a wanted ad, for parts ill respond. Kevin

Hi Kevin, they should looking into it for you and find a reason why it failed and send you a replacement. When I bought my Blade 400 3D the first time I connected the battery and powered up the motor, the ESC failed and burnt completely out causing a fire (there's a thread on this forum on this). The shop changed it which was great and send it back to manufacture for a reason why. I still waiting for the out come.

hi Simon bit of a problem now as they both fly perfectly. toying with the idea of buying the extreme body kit, tail boom, canopy. skids. so itll be like having 2 different helis. ive seen it all for £27.95 inc. p&p. very tempting it looks really smart. must say my dealings with Horizon with this and my Blade400 show them to be a very good company to deal with. Kevin