Stop my birds flying the coup

Not really a 'plane subject but I'll ask anyway.

I've a chicken shed with a vertically sliding, chicken size, ply hatch in the main wooden door & I'm looking for ways to open & close this hatch when I'm away to stop Mr Fox eating my chooks.

I've thought of a model yacht sail winch operated via a day/night sensor but that is as far as my electronic kowledge will get me. I've got 2 & 3 cell Lipos to operate things & can almost certainly build a set up if I'm pointed in the right direction.

Anyone care to help?

Advert

Cheers Dave. Yes they're well trained & always return when the sun starts going down. Nice gadget but if I can find some way of shutting/opening the hatch automatically at sunset/sunrise it'll save the neighbours a trip twice a day & keep the chooks safe.

Chickens will invariably go to bed before the light fades.

Vic, do you have the chickens roaming free around your garden or do they have a large enclosed run?

There are many automatic dawn - dusk door systems that you can buy. **LINK** or here **LINK**

The main flaw in the plan is that foxes are very much around well after dawn and, as happened with my neighbour two weeks ago, the foxes came in and killed the lot. He has even seen them hunting for most of the day due to the demand of feeding their cubs.

If you are going to build something yourself the problem with ply is that is can, and does, stick very well, so I would avoid plywood but go for perspex or steel doors. I used a thin plastic chopping board which worked well but was sick of the batteries running out, same with the one I bought - that ate batteries quite quickly. 

In the end and being so close to open farmland I decided to just build a large enclosed run instead.  Although only completed in Feb I haven't lost another girl yet.

Chicken coop.jpg

Edited By John F on 10/05/2016 11:44:28

Thanks John F. Our chooks have a large outside enclosure but only about 1m high. They have a smaller interconnecting foxproof enclosure which we usually shut at dusk leaving the chook door open. Not had a problem in about 10 years although we live in open country in rural Brittany. Our nearest neighbour is about 500m away so a pain to ask them to shut up/open the chooks house especially in mid summer with the long days. We have about 3 Ha of fields surrounded by open farmland so great for plane flying but not so good keeping foxy away from Mme Chook. I'm going to buy one of the door openers & hope the batteries will last a couple of weeks if we go away. I take your point about the sliding door.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

• 1 month later...