Zenoah G38 convertion to electronic ignition

bert baker

Has any one fitted a electronic convertion kit to an old Mag type Zenoah G38.

I am happy with it on mag but unable to get the cowl to fitt,and doing away with the bulk size of the mag, would apear to be the lazzy way out.

The one I have been looking at is the one just engines sell, looks like I would have to buy a ignition kit and a adaptor plate.

Bert

Advert

Hi Bert, as it happens I have an adaptor kit for a Z38 that I never used as the engine turned out to be knackered. It's the unit sold by JE and consists of the adaptor plate that contains the magnet and a holder for the pickup. You would still need the ignition kit but if you want the new in packet adaptor - say £10? posted - PM me.

I've done one!

I had all the parts from just engines. it's so simple to do. Just bear in mind to put the magnetic pick up the correct way round in the holder....otherwise no sparkidea

If you need to know anything ask away, bert

Edited By cymaz on 12/05/2016 21:10:16

The magnet is fitted, the only thing to watch would be that the Hall sensor is the right way round in it's housing which is what Cymaz is talking about. If that goes in the clip back to front then it won't trigger the ignition unit. It should only go in one way round as the clip has a D section housing for it, but the spare pickup that I have only has a shallow mating D section.

Sounds like the situation I found myself in Martyn, I bought a model 'thought' by the seller to be fitted with a ZG38, it turned out on collection to be a Quadra boat anchor. By then I'd bought the conversion in expectation of the Zenoah. The ignition unit didn't go to waste though as I put that on an ASP180.

Posted by bert baker on 13/05/2016 09:30:06:

Cheers Bob that would be great, I will send a PM

Cymaz, I was quite suprissed that you had to fit the magnet, I thought it would have been factory fitted.

Bert

The pick up in the plastic holder not the magnet yes. Sorry for the confusion