16ch Hitec TX under development

But the Hitec 2.4 protocol is completely different to the Multiplex M Link, so would have to be re-worked, which may make it incompatible with existing receivers etc plus they would have to get it re-approved in the US which I understand is quite costly, hence why Hitec USA decided not to sell M Link in the US. Hitec may have also done some market research which has concluded that the market for 16 channel sets doesn't justify the costs.

• 10 months later...

For future reference - Hitec confirm in Dec 2017 that they have shelved all future TX development and the 14 and 16ch prototypes will not be brought to market... sad

“...We have been testing new beta versions of our 14 and 16 channel transmitters for the past year or so and I personally have been flying on them in my own personal airplanes, they are not vaporware as they exist and are functional- the 14ch itself was ready to roll into production and start distribution ASAP pending a couple small software bugs. The 16ch was nearly complete as well.

Over the summer this past year it was decided to NOT bring either one of these transmitters to market based upon worldwide market conditions and the associated high cost to produce, market, and support the product. It is with a heavy heart that we officially announce the cancellation of our new 14 and 16 channel transmitters, the projects have been shelved indefinitely. We apologize to everyone about broken promises to introducing new transmitters but transmitters have not proven to be our strongest point. Our current line of transmitters will still be produced and supported, and our servo technology is always ever expanding with new innovations around every corner.”

I did read on another forum only a week or two ago, a post directly from Hitec which stated that Hitec have suspended any further development of ALL transmitters. They feel that the market has become saturated and so they will now only concentrate on servo development.

I was disappointed at this news and so I will probably look at the Graupner system as I want talking telemetry on vario for my thermal gliders. Unfortunately Hitec don’t offer this.

If that were easily possible I’m sure they would have done it a long time ago and released an Aurora 14 with a £200 price hike. I know their original protocol was never designed to go beyond 9ch though, so it may be that the transmission hardware does not have the capability to be upgraded. Either way, to get a 14ch to prototype stage then shelve it must have been a big investment write-off.