Which taranis?

David perry 1

Posted by PatMc on 22/06/2016 13:51:30:

Surely the early V series will work with DJT module plugged in to a Taranis so long as the DIP[?] switches are in the correct setting ?
Same as a DFT, DHT or DJT mounted on a different make Tx.

Yes, providing you have one already or can source one, the DJT, DFT and DHT will all work with the mk1 V8 RXs.

Advert

Posted by Andy48 on 22/06/2016 14:08:16:
Posted by MattyB on 22/06/2016 11:51:22:

• It appears that the latest ETSI changes have not altered the situation for receivers, presumably because their low transmission power for telemetry means they fall outside the regulations. This means even the latest X series RXs remain firmware upgradeable in the EU, and that if you have an older TX you will continue to be able to buy RXs for it and reflash them with the firmware of your choice to match that in your TX (I flashed a brand new X6R marked EU LBT to Int'l only this week; worked absolutely fine).

Fingers crossed there are no glaring errors in the above - hope it helps!

How can the receivers have a lower transmission power? If they did then it would be impossible for them to return low and critical RSSI warnings. I wonder if they are not included because they do not initiate the signal, but respond to a signal from the transmitter.

Possibly. There is not much online about the transmission poer of the RXs or the telemetry protocol that FrSky use, so we cannot tell, but what definitely seems to be the case is that the RXs remain flashable (thankfully).

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 22/06/2016 13:27:02:

Tony, the early V series will not work, but V8R-II and the micro receiver (whichever that is) should be OK as they can be bound in D8 mode. The 'old' V series haven't been available for a long time!

I get it .. of course the page I looked at was the one offering V series for sale, so naturally it refers to compatibility with the current V receivers. Mine are old V8s, dating from when Frsky first came out.

Posted by David perry 1 on 22/06/2016 14:49:40:

Well it has arrived.

What can I say? I ordered the combo with the eva case and it exceeds my expectations many times over. The switch on audio, 'welcome to open tx' is loud and clear, the screen is bright and clear and (importantly more and more for me old peepers) BIG. Switch on switch warning is clever.

Happy bunny.

D

Glad you are pleased with it David - I know you will really enjoy it!

I know the sort of discussion on firmware updates taking place here is very interesting to some - but frankly if I were you I'd ignore 99% of it. I simply don't have these issues. Just stick with LBT and X-series Rx's and life is wonderfully simple! Everything just works. I started on the "world system", went to the "EU" system, then the "LBT" system - all seamlessly.

It is a little bit sad that we can't just allow David to just enjoy his new Tx without this "side issue" sad May be this detailled firmware discussion belongs elsewhere in a different thread? - otherwise every Taranis thread gets taken over by this sort of heavy technical discussion which I believe is having the undesirable effect of detering a lot of people from "going Taranis and OpenTx" - unfortunate. Because its probably confirming the misconception that you need to be a techno-genius to use Taranis - which of course you don't!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 22/06/2016 18:39:52

Posted by MattyB on 22/06/2016 14:51:35:
Posted by PatMc on 22/06/2016 13:51:30:

Surely the early V series will work with DJT module plugged in to a Taranis so long as the DIP[?] switches are in the correct setting ?
Same as a DFT, DHT or DJT mounted on a different make Tx.

Yes, providing you have one already or can source one, the DJT, DFT and DHT will all work with the mk1 V8 RXs.

They are listed as in stock RClife and supposedly at BRC but since BRC are currently unmanned and the owners, Robotbirds, don't have them in stock that may be doubtful. They're also out of stock at T9.

Just stick with LBT and X-series Rx's and life is wonderfully simple! Everything just works.

BEB

That's exactly what i'm hoping for. I have to admit that a lot of the tech chat and qs over the past year had increasingly put me off. I'm sure it wasn't that hard in reality once you got your head round it but from the outside it sounded very complex. Have now pushed the button on an LBT and some X series receivers, and am really looking forwards to getting to grips with Taranis

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 22/06/2016 18:38:39:

It is a little bit sad that we can't just allow David to just enjoy his new Tx without this "side issue" sad May be this detailled firmware discussion belongs elsewhere in a different thread? - otherwise every Taranis thread gets taken over by this sort of heavy technical discussion which I believe is having the undesirable effect of detering a lot of people from "going Taranis and OpenTx" - unfortunate. Because its probably confirming the misconception that you need to be a techno-genius to use Taranis - which of course you don't!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 22/06/2016 18:39:52

I must admit, despite the issues at our club with users of Taranis, I am interested in the system but am really deterred by the firmware questions and folk begging for help thereafter.

To be honest I just want to set up my mixes, turn it on, use my Spektrum or Orange Rx's (or not), enjoy 18 channels and fly!

Oh I think one can just turn it on and enjoy, regardless of firmware issue. I am not sure what my firmware is, 2.1.6 I think, but it seems to work.

A club mate uses his and has never plugged into a pc, or so he says...but he seems to have a lot of funny and interesting sound tracks on his which I have not found on mine. I HAVE downloaded companion and tried to use it, but I have failed. I created a good working system in companion, copied it the Tx...and it failed . It just didnt do what it was doing on the mac. However, persistence with the Tx got it sorted so thats okay now. An example is sounds...they dont play through my mac under simulator conditions...is this right?

I remember I had exactly the same issues with my brain-numbing Multiplex system years ago - it was amazing when it all went right, but I often forgot what I'd done which made it maddening. But it WAS worth it.

I have a few concerns over various noises or lack of, and whilst Im happy with there being no manual in the box I would like a list of worrying things that are actually ok...buzzes and squeaks for example. No chirping when binding, for example, and the latest "telemetry critical" when its sat on the bench, for example.

In an ideal world the computer setup screens would all be visual, because I work visually so find tables of menus quite challenging...but I will get there.

I am very happy with everything about it so far and delighted with the ease of fitting the vario (and the Rx voltage as default is quite stunning)

As for Orange rx etc, well you CAN buy DSM2 module for the Taranis and carry on using them...and as for just "setting up mixes"...thats exactly all you have to do with Taranis.

The set does a huge amount more that I have yet to discover and no doubt I will never use a lot of it...but I bet my son, an avid multi rotor pilot, will be filling his boots in due course!

Anyone thinking of getting a Taranis but who is put off by the issues of firmware...dont be. Just call T9 and buy one. What you buy today is all compatible (and I do not imagine Brexit will change that).

D

Edited By David perry 1 on 24/06/2016 14:05:11

To be honest Taranis hasn't always been easy firmware wise, the earlier changes were a bit of an "adventure". But we managed them without too much trouble - especially if like me you 100% X-series Rx's.

But that has all changed. Now with LBT it's very stable. David's experience above speaks for itself. You don't have to be into all this firmware stuff to use the system to it full potential. So don't let that put you off.

It's in the nature of Taranis and OpenTx that it does tend to attract those that want to go a bit further and delve deep in the workings - and that's fine. But you don't have to! The problem is of course that by their nature such folks are enthusiastic and will exchange at high levels of detail on forums like this and the less technically committed can find this a bit daunting. And that's what you see here in this thread. The guys are just "having a chat" about the finer points of firmware control and dissemination - but for those on the outside that can appear rather scary - "Wow, do I need to understand all this just to fly a model aeroplane?" The answer is emphatically "Only if you want to"! Now, through standisation on LBT, you can get at all the power of Taranis and OpenTx without worrying about firmware versions etc.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 24/06/2016 14:18:37

Once the folks at my club can work out what is going on with the 50% crash rate with Taranis users indecision I will be looking at the Taranis simply for the standard bells, whistles and 18 channels on offer. The transfer from computer to model after applying settings is a fantastic app that I can definitely use.

I think the delving into the guts will come but only if and when I need it.

What is LBT?

No BeB, they went as they had a perceived issue with Spektrum ( they were scared of rumour, basically) and only 1 Spektrum related issue on the crash board! Now, with 11 Taranis users, we've got 5 unexpected earthly arrivals on the board!

No one else is having any issues and all the others on the board only add to 6 crashes over this year. We've not had any other brand mishaps at all during the time the Taranis users all stoofed their models in. It is most mysterious!

32 channels? I thought it was 18! Nope, sorry it is labelled as 16, my mistake. 32 channels is not standard though is it, you need an XJT module and another Rx?

In fairness, neither me nor my three boys will touch OEM Spektrum because we had far, far too many un solvable crashes. We now use Orange DSM2 and Futaba with a module...no crashes.

The ONLY time in the recent past we have had an issue was when we injudiciously used a Spekky Rx.

Im not denying that your colleagues John had issues, just suggesting that things are often more complex. I am also hoping for better than 50%!!!

D

Posted by John F on 24/06/2016 14:38:14:

Once the folks at my club can work out what is going on with the 50% crash rate with Taranis users indecision I will be looking at the Taranis simply for the standard bells, whistles and 18 channels on offer. The transfer from computer to model after applying settings is a fantastic app that I can definitely use.

I think the delving into the guts will come but only if and when I need it.

What is LBT?

LBT = Listen before talk. Rather than transmit every cycle irrelevant of whether it will clash with another user on that freq at that time the TX listens on it's next hop frequency; if something is already transmitting there it waits til the next hop, does a another check for free space and then makes the decision on whether to transit or not again etc.

FrSky moved to LBT in the EU after their initial EU compliant firmware released in late 2014 experienced range issues for a small number of users. Maybe those having problems in your club may be using that firmware? sounds like that or a source of wideband interference (microwave tower etc) could be the source of their issues...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Taranis LBT Guys

I have just taken delivery of my (brand new from T9), Taranis, so I am a very happy, but NERVOUS bunny.

May I join the "LBT club" please?

I still have to read through the (T9 Richard) recommended Esoar reading for my glider set up, and before that the calibration of voltage reading sticks pots and what have you.

I'd welcome any suggestions for alternative "essential" reading to get to basics, in readiness for basic flying set ups.

At this stage, I am seeing the Taranis as the equivalent to my mobile phone, i.e. lots of capability, but unlikely to want or need to use all of them.

I am retired and fly gliders for leisure and relaxing pleasure, and bought the Taranis to "upgrade" from my 6- channel Futaba T6J

Go With the Flow

Bruce

Posted by Bruce Austin on 21/07/2016 13:33:31:

Hi Taranis LBT Guys

I have just taken delivery of my (brand new from T9), Taranis, so I am a very happy, but NERVOUS bunny.

May I join the "LBT club" please?

If your TX is brand new you are already in the LBT club - that's the only firmware they ship with now in the EU. It limits you to X series RXs only, but tbh that makes it simpler for you - you can ignore anything else, and all the discussions on RF firmware generally as you will not be able to upgrade the RF firmware in your TX anyway (FrSky have locked it to comply with the latest EU regs changes).

Posted by Bruce Austin on 21/07/2016 13:33:31:

I still have to read through the (T9 Richard) recommended Esoar reading for my glider set up, and before that the calibration of voltage reading sticks pots and what have you.

I'd welcome any suggestions for alternative "essential" reading to get to basics, in readiness for basic flying set ups.

At this stage, I am seeing the Taranis as the equivalent to my mobile phone, i.e. lots of capability, but unlikely to want or need to use all of them.

I am retired and fly gliders for leisure and relaxing pleasure, and bought the Taranis to "upgrade" from my 6- channel Futaba T6J

You are quite right - keep it simple initially, no need to do anything complex. Google the following, all good sources of information:

• OpenTX University
  • Painless 360 Youtube channel (he has a whole section on OpenTX videos
  • Mike Shellim's rc-soar site (has an excellent OpenTX section)
  • RCSettings.com - a good source of templates to download and look at in Companion contributed by other users.
  • Scott Page's Taranis/OpenTX videos (now a bit out of date as they are mostly on v1.x, but still very useful, particularly the one embedded below):

Edited By MattyB on 21/07/2016 14:48:05

Thank you Andy48.

I have downloaded your link and am working through it. Great stuff there.

Quick question.

There is an SD card in the TX. I have looked for it and found it under the battery cover. (While I was at it I disconnected and checked the battery voltage then did the Battery calibration exercise)

Back to the SD card. I would like to see what is on it. Is it ok to plug it into my laptop via the recommended USB cable and be able to access the card, or do I need to work through OPEN TX or something.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am just nervous about compromising anything before I "know" what I am doing!!!!!

Just another point.

I could not find any tutorial on how to access the individual lines in the various menu pages. So, after some trial and error, and some accidental observations, I managed to set up the correct time and date!!!!

I have now (i think) calibrated the sticks sliders and pots.

Wow!!! I think that I nearly know enough of the jargon and terminology to ask noob questions??? Hopefully!!!

I am taking this whole learning curve very seriously, as I have to fly a plane on this Taranis. But a wee bit tongue in cheek and a smile from time to time will surely ease the stress of this serious learning curve!!!!

Andy, I acknowledge that warning of yours be careful trawling" . In the last six months, since my first aspiration to potentially join the Taranis fraternity, I started to realise, with growing trepidation, that there was a bit of a quagmire out there, with some less than current information and concepts. However I am an optimist and here I am, raring to go!!!!

However, I am willing, and do desire, to learn how to improve my flying using this wonderful Taranis tool.

So Andy48 and all you other experts out there, please be patient, and ever so gentle with me.

I can do this! It might just take me a little time!!!

Go With the Flow

Bruce

Hi there BEB, Mr Moderator, Sir, (and bobbing adulations). Thank you for those welcoming and encouraging words.

So here's your challenge. Me!!!!

In my wisdom, along with the LBT taranis Plus, I have purchased an X8R LBT receiver, as well as a FrSky High precision Variometer. (I fly a couple of HK Phoenix gliders)

So this evening I thought that I would just connect the two together (no power yet) just getting familiar.

This is a major jar to my confidence, and therefore, here is the challenge that I lay before you!!! I cannot make sense of the printed instructions.

Printed instructions with variometer, and I quote:

"3) Variometer sensor& X8R Receiver"S Port will done". Oh yes????

The image and diagram does not look the same as my X8R LBT

On another slightly different aspect, BEB,

Do you know if the Taranis screen has a plastic protector on it? My screen has arrived with some slight scratch marks before I have even set my hands on it. I dread to think what it might look like after a year or two in the field!!!!

Is there some kind of screen protector available to us???

Bedtime! Enough excitement for one day!

Go With the Flow

Bruce

Bruce