motorised gliders and wind

Hi I was thinking since the wind never stops blowing in Bristol where I live and since there are not exactly a lot of cliffs to try slope soaring off that a motorized glider might be the thing to try since once it climbs up i can use the wind t o fly about and the motor wen required, the thing I wonder is what sort of max wind speed will a glider fly in given that they are light weight, I was thinking of one of the mutilplex easy-glider pro one's with a brushless setup.

Alistair

A

Timbo - 70 mph compression?

Alistair - The wind speed itself is not the real problem provided it is constant but turbulence and wind shear are.  A model built to glide well is likely have a bigger wing span and hence lower roll rates.  Fly into disturbed air and you might not have enough control power to keep things straight and level.  Wind shear is when the wind significantly changes speed and/or direction in short distance i.e  one minute you are flying along happily and then suddenly you are not! Even big airliners worry about that one!

So don't expect your motor glider to handle severe weather conditions as well as a big & powerful aerobatic model.

I do not think that wind speed is a problem full stop  for a glider, motorised or not. Turbulance is not necessarily a problem.

These comments are based on my own experiences and observing others. People frequently slope soar in very high winds. Timbo and Andy Ellisson? seem to be exponents of this. The various Electric competitions have motor gliders going at very high speed in all sorts of weather.

Just need to land where the turbulence is minimised. The trouble with gliders is that it gets a bit boring if the wind is so high you are just pointing into the wind. I guess that is where slope soaring gets interesting.

Erfolg 

No pointing into wind on big lift days.  Screaming back and forth across the slope with the ballast tube full is much more fun. Bring on the big winds 

Erfolg, we might be going sloping this Saturday if the weather stays good.  15 - 20mph WNW wind should mean some of us heading onto the Harrington slopes in Workington, if you fancy it?

Shaun

Was supposed to be going to Greysouthen for the weekend, but now have to stay as a family member is in hospital (ill), in Macclesfield. Still roof is near to completion . So should be going back soon, wife does not like being away.

Erfolg