Budget Stabilisers/Gyros 2016

Hi,

I've seen a couple of threads on the Orangerx RX3S stabiliser from a couple of years back. I fancy trying something like this just for fun, is the Orange one still the one to go for? I notice that Hobby King have a two very similar Turnigy branded units at similar prices.

As I say, just really for fun so if there are any alternatives with more features that might be of interest, or customer firmware etc.

Will be going into a horrible electric glider in case that's relevant.

Thanks, Tony S

Advert

The only problem with putting in a glider is it will mask the thermals rocking the wings wink

Just make sure you correctly set up the gyro directions correctly, on an aerobatic plane I'd set the elevator gyro in the wrong direction, so when the plane nosed down it compensated by adding down elevator.............blush

I'm tempted by the Turnigy one that has different modes remotely activated. That might be great for letting others have a shot of the plane. I use Frsky radio for my planes so the Orange with built in receiver is of limited use (I have a DSMX module but it's not full range).

• 3 weeks later...

Well I picked up the Turnigy model that appears to be a clone of the device also sold as "NX3 Evo". From my tests it seems like the Aux input can not only switch it on/off in flight, but can also vary the gain. Accordingly I've set the transmitter so that one switch enables what they call "Beginner" mode, and another engages "Practice" mode, and in both cases the gain is preset by a pot on the transmitter.

First flight tests show that Beginner mode does a pretty good job of levelling the wings as it is supposed to, and also seems to damp the roll response quite a lot. It doesn't seem to change elevator control, making the controls feel a bit out of harmony with well damped roll but pitch still just as sensitive. I haven't tested the other modes yet, need better conditions as the current wind direction seriously limits my landing options.