DuBro valve spout

Robert Putley 1

Advert

No sir! It is a small bottle used for priming glow engines. It is called a Valvespout as at the end of the tube, is a brass valve to open and close the flow.

Looking at my old one, (the valve is u/s), I see that it was not by Dubro, perhaps the originals were, but by an English firm by the name of Muller.

If not a available, I wonder if there is something similar in the market place.

Something like the 'fuel tite ' was standard kit for diesel engine fliers way back and was known as a 'valve spout 'bottle then.

The only thing needed with model in the days of diesel powered free flight.

Many older modelers will have remember them .

Edited By Mowerman on 02/07/2016 14:52:39

Shaunie . For priming cowled glow engine . Rather than using a valve spout. I use a less messy method. I have seen a number of other modellers use it too . Just simply use an approximately  10inch piece of fuel tube and put a short length eg 2inch piece of thin brass(the type you get with fuel tanks) on one end. When you want to prime the engine first open the throttle. Then just insert the brass end into the fuel filler pipe. Gently blow while turning over the engine. Close the throttle to idle and and plug the filler pipe then you are ready to start! You will soon get the hang of it! I used valve spouts decades ago and I always remember the oily mess and dripping.

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 11/07/2016 12:54:49