Essential RC's videos

John Greenfield (Ghost Squadron) built this half scale Klemm KL 25 from plans of the actual full size aircraft. He also used the same materials in its construction and chose the Valach 420cc 5 cylinder radial engine (VM R5-420). An engine more powerful than the engines used in the full size aircraft!

This model has a wingspan of 6.5 metres and length of 3.8 metres.
The weight is 57 KG.

Filmed at the Large Model Association (LMA) Cosford Show 2017.

Doesn't get much easier than this. No glue. Just push the wings onto the fuselage and the elevons, plug in your receiver and go. Dropped in a 3S1300 pack and put a RunCam2 on the nose to balance. Fortunately it was blowing a gale outside so really did test out the included gyro flight stabilisation system which can be switched in-flight between off, beginner and advanced. Looking forward to some calmer weather when I'll try out a RunCam Split FPV camera in the nose. with me flying just on my FatShark FPV goggles.

Edited By Dom (Essential RC) on 15/11/2017 13:07:07

Edited By Dom (Essential RC) on 15/11/2017 13:27:50

Second outing with the ZOHD Nano Talon....this time only low wind as opposed to the storm conditions I flew in last time. Allowed me to play with the 'beginner' stabilisation/gyro mode. Really surprised me how easy it made it to fly this plane. If you were a first time RC pilot you would have NO problems flying this thing because it prevents excessive rolling and stops the ability to invert. I guess that's also great for FPV pilots who want to concentrate on the view rather than the flying. You'll notice my rather weak handed launch. Despite that it climbed away with no problem. Great job by ZOHD on a great package. Looking forward to taking this out again and getting some high altitude onboard footage.

Have been flying FPV for a while now and if there's one thing I've learnt is that not all FPV cams are the same. RunCam make the best spec cams at the moment and the most recent Eagle 2 Pro has a lot of configuration options to change the image based on your preferences and conditions. Well worth the few pounds more that they cost in my opinion.

Got my hands on the new version of the Bixler 3 a few weeks back ahead of its launch yesterday (6th December). Minutes to put together. Apparent changes from the original are larger space up front for bigger lipos, so more flight time. Re-designed for FPV. It comes with a pre-assembled ply mount for your FPV gear. Designed with optional flaps. First plane in the Bixler series that I have owned so I can't make a direct comparison with its predecessors but this one is certainly a lot of fun. I dropped my RunCam 2 and its docking station onto the nose and it worked well.

• 2 weeks later...

NEW HobbyKing / Avios Extra 330LX

HobbyKing and the Avios Team collaborated with RC Groups to provide this excellent rendition of the real Extra 300 LX owned and flown by RC Groups founder Jim Bourke. The original planes color scheme was worked on by Italian designer Mirco Pecorari and is based on the RC Groups color scheme.

This latest plug and fly Extra is made of EPO foam with a realistic color scheme and is big enough at 1.4m wingspan to provide great presence in the air. It is powered by a 4240-600KV brushless outrunner with a 14x7 wood propeller.

No glue required. Takes minutes to assemble using a small number of screws. Wings lock into place and are released by using a button under each wing. Rudder is on closed loop system which I think is unique for a foamy but the mechanism used by all large scale composite aerobatic models so great to see. The scheme is great for visibility AND is well applied.

My flying in the video is from a first maiden flight using a 4S2700 pack which made it super light. I think 4S3300-4S3800 is probably the optimum pack size for weight for 3D/aerobatics and good flight time. I didn't go crazy being a first flight but the way it flew did inspire confidence to get it relatively low for the camera and have immediate fun with it.

Edited By Dom (Essential RC) on 03/01/2018 13:37:07