Horus is nearly upon us...

MattyB

Just one addition to the debate above - remember that Horus ships with FrSky OS (which is called FrOS or FrTX depending on who you ask), not OpenTX. This is menu driven and a lot like more traditional firmware from Futaba, Spektrum et al with master/slave type mixing, defined wing types etc. Transitioning to that should be markedly easier for many users compared to going to OpenTX, though obviously it is fairly early in it's development lifecycle and some bits of functionality are are still a little rough round the edges from what I am hearing.

Advert

Thanks for your feedback guys,

I've delved into the online resources like the OpenTX University and other sites and it was quite an eye opener.

I'm converted so just need to liquify some assets and plan a purchase as soon as I can.

It all looks very exciting but slightly daunting which is part of the appeal .

It would appear that the Horus delivered in the EU is not locked to EU firmware, it can be flashed with the international firmware.

Having trawled through the Horus handbook whilst still awaiting mine to arrive, it would appear that the menu system leans heavily on the concepts developed in OpenTX. i.e most of the terminology will be familiar to OpenTX users.

"Or you can get it for £376 from HorusRC, but I'd be wary of warranty."

Add on 20% import tax

Also add import tax handling charge

Allow for worse rate of exchange than on-line exchange rates would quote

T9 seems the way to go seeing as they are getting them in tomorrow supposedly.

Edited By Andy48 on 15/09/2016 09:38:02

• 3 months later...

I know of a few guys who have had them shipped from HorusRC now and paid nothing for import tax or handling fees.

I got mine from T9, however, and had my first few flights with it over New Year's Eve and New Year's Day - very happy! The feel of the sticks is just right, although I did lengthen them a little. The weight isn't a problem at all, though I now fly with a chest rig and the extra TX hangers available from T9, as I've been getting a bad shoulder when flying for a few years now.

FrOS isn't too bad at all, and seems very flexible indeed. I may flash OTX on there when it is out of beta, but so far I have no reason to yes

This thread prompted me to look up a few Youtube reviews on this transmitter. There seem to be a number of concerns emerging. There has been mention of the possible directional nature of the signal from the built in aerial, difficulties with using different batteries and the rather bizarre design of how the strap is attached.

I think for many fliers the complications of loading firmware into a transmitter, the high price and the uncertaintities surrounding the benefits of the programming system will put them off quite apart from the possible hardware failings that may be present.

For those who have the necessary flying skills to benefit from the mixing and other features I say good luck. There are perils in being an early adopter and at £500 you need a medal! You pioneers will bring benefits for the rest of us eventually.

Edited By Wasaforumite on 04/01/2017 12:51:26

There was a 12 month + beta test for the Tx, so I went in to the purchase knowing that it was a usbale system from the off, but to address your points :

• The antenna directionality issue was only of concern to FPV'ers who may fly behind themselves. Selecting "external antenna" (when one is attached) now transmits from both of them, and the issue is now gone
  • The battery is a built-in eneloop. I have no idea why people are trying to change the battery out, it's a very good unit as it is and will last a whole day's flying without a problem
  • The neck strap one is odd, until you realise that when there is tension on the strap, the power button is covered to stop accidental tun-offs
  • The unit doesn't need a firmware update, or to change software to a different OS. It works ?(and has done for me) straight out of the box. In any event - firmware updates are so easy - just hold the power button down as you power on, once the file has been transferred to the SD card.

I think the price point has been discussed here before, but for what you get, and the quality of hardware coupled with future upgradeability - nothing else comes close imho.

During Beta I ran a test of the supplied NIMH Tx battery life using the cycling monitor connected to a X8R with servos fed from a huge LiPo via a BEC, logging battery voltage on a calibrated MultiMeter and after more than seven hours and far from reaching any warning level on the Tx I gave up.

The only negative I would say is that the charge time of the Production units seems to be longer than the Beta, definitely a charge when plenty of time is spare IF you do run it down a long way, but you'll be flying for AGES to get there!!