Beginner's radio?

I have just experienced a house fire in which we lost all belongings, including my radio and the few models I possessed.

I'm looking to spend about £150 on replacement radio which has a rechargeable Tx battery-a beginners set would be fine as I'm a very occasional flyer only.

Any recommendations?

Advert

Ted the new sets are DSMX and only support DSMX receivers. But then again all they are doing is not supporting obsolete protocols. You, if you go Spectrum will find the Orange receivers, or Lemon recievers, DSMX compatable, are good, and they of course use standard plugs so it all goes together. 150 quid should see you with a box of bits to do installations in at least 2 or three planes.

Percy, at the rate of progress, who cares. It may be a waste, but things no longer last for life, to be passed on when they put you down.

One point I have with trannsmitters which are not mainstream, is sorting out how to use them. I am currently helping to train a newcomer. He bought a transmitter, not familiar to me or my flying mate, and without instruction book, or the inclination to learn a new transmitter, he is on his own on that score. Not a problem on a primary trainer, but he will have to sort sometime, and he is not an electronics natural.

Posted by FlyinBrian on 31/07/2016 12:55:54:

How about this - 6ch set up for under £43!

It was reviewed by Bruce at RC Model Reviews (Branded as Fly Sky) and found to great for the money - it has telemetry too with optional receiver.

**LINK**

Edited By FlyinBrian on 31/07/2016 12:56:58

This is very tempting, thanks!

Can I use a rechargeable pack instead of the 4 AAs,I wonder?

Hi Ted,

I am using that HK set occasionally, I put 4 rechargeable  AA NiMh's in it and it is doing ok. Don't be put off if you have to buy the wrong mode, it can be converted from mode 1 to mode 2 or vice versa very easily even though it is not in the manual. I can tell you how it's done if you need it.

It is a nice little set, the sticks are a bit light on the touch and there is no ratchet on the throttle, just a non-adjustable friction brake. But you get telemetry even on the supplied receiver (just battery voltage and reception quality).

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 31/07/2016 15:35:24

So sorry to hear about your loss Ted. As an alternative to the Speky set, how about a Hitec Flash 7? I do not have any personal experience of it myself but I remember the reviews in the mags were quite good and I believe the receivers are good value too. I own many Hitec servos and I have always found them to be reliable and well made.

I have bought many products from Hobby King over the years, some very good value, but I would not buy one of their transmitters, no matter how cheap it was, - but that is just me.

Ted,

I used a Hitec Optic 6 Sport to pass my A with and it was great. I only switched because I fancied trying the Frsky Taranis (which is fantastic by the way although not everyone's cup of tea...). If I was buying one now I'd go for the extra features of the Flash 7 but if you don't need them it would save you £40 or so. One bonus with the Spektrum DX6 is the ability to use the majority of the 'bind and fly' planes about (if that's your thing).

David

Edited By David Molineux on 31/07/2016 17:57:01