Binding and updating

Graham R

Posted by MattyB on 23/01/2017 11:50:47:

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 23/01/2017 00:00:21:
If it were me, I'd probably bite the bullet and resign myself to flashing TX and all Rxs to a known version. EU-LBT probably, to ensure any new receivers would work.

Yes, you are probably right - long term that is the most efficient way to go, especially as it does not sound like Graham has that many RXs. Now he is on OpenTX 2.1 he can do this relatively straightforwardly from the TX itself.

Graham, based on the above I would say you have two distinct problems here that we can tackle quite separately:

1. Possible faulty RX - Either find someone locally to you who can try binding it, or send it to one of us and we will test it for you.
  2. Getting your TX and all receivers to a single, known version of RF firmware - This might take a little more time sort term, but will pay back long term as you will never have to play with any new receivers you buy; they will just work out of the box. My suggestion would be that you flash your internal TX module and just one of the currently working X series receivers to EU LBT firmware, then verify you can bind it. Assuming that works (and there is no reason it should not), you then need to flash all of your other working RXs to EU LBT by the same method. Again follow the FrSky instructions carefully and tips in this thread and it should work fine.

Edited By MattyB on 23/01/2017 11:51:36

XJT_LBT_build151223

I'm sorry, it's me again. Is this the file for the RF firmware.If it is than i'm sorry to report that it fails half way through installing.Error message is Firmware update error .

Posted by MattyB on 25/01/2017 13:42:55:

Yes, that sounds like the right file - to be absolutely certain, here is where you download it from the FrSky site.

Assuming you have got he right file the issue must be the method you are using. Are you sure you chose the right file from the Firmwares folder, and that you chose "Flash internal module"? from the menu?

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the link. I downloaded the the file, loaded in onto SD card and updated the Tx. This time it all went ok.( perhaps it was different to mine). Anyway tried my X8D receivers non would bind. tried the troublesome X6D - wouldn't bind. Downloaded the X8D-LBT software and wrote it to both X8R's - both bound with no problems(guess they were previously on int version.

Loaded same software onto X6R, tried to bind -Failed

Conclusion Tx now on current EU LBT s/w along with 2 X8R's

1 X6R stuffed

Tested my old D8RII's - still working fine.

What do you think?

I think we have a success! The only thing to do with that X6R if you want to validate it as faulty is to try and get it bound to another persons TX, but it does look to be U/S. If you bought it from T9 I would give them a call - if you have a receipt (or even if you don't) I suspect they will look favourably on your request for a swapout.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi chaps l have been trying to reflash two brand new X6R receivers. l have been following a mixture of Painless 365 and sincere advice given by some very helpful forumites. It seems so simple to do mmmmmmmmmm!!!!.

l would like to start again from ground zero. My taranis plus was purchased in the early part of 2015, l still use the original taranis firmware. The taranis shows i,m running open tx -9dp -v2.0.92-eu with a date of 2015-02 -27. The taranis shows D16-eu on the internal RF. My question is have l started up the wrong road ( the rx,would not bind to the taranis straight out of the box). and what am l running is it EU then why did the new rx,s not bind or am l running something else. Cheers chaps.

Can't be certain without looking it up Jim - and I'm not in my workshop so can't - but I suspect the following might be the reason - as well as the "rest of the world" system there were two versions of the EU protocol. The older, original, one was not LBT. So if you have that - which I suspect - it won't bind to an LBT configured Rx.

You'll need to check version to be sure my guess is right!

BEB

Posted by jim longbon on 20/02/2017 11:38:26:

Hi chaps l have been trying to reflash two brand new X6R receivers. l have been following a mixture of Painless 365 and sincere advice given by some very helpful forumites. It seems so simple to do mmmmmmmmmm!!!!.

l would like to start again from ground zero. My taranis plus was purchased in the early part of 2015, l still use the original taranis firmware. The taranis shows i,m running open tx -9dp -v2.0.92-eu with a date of 2015-02 -27. The taranis shows D16-eu on the internal RF. My question is have l started up the wrong road ( the rx,would not bind to the taranis straight out of the box). and what am l running is it EU then why did the new rx,s not bind or am l running something else. Cheers chaps.

If you bought your TX in early 2015 then it will definitely have the v1 EU firmware on it that some people found gave range issues. Do not be tempted to useyour TX in this state - we do need to make sure that RF firmware is updated! As BEB states above the EU v1 firmware will not work with currently sold EU v2 (LBT) RXs, hence why your newly purchased X6Rs are not very lively at this point.

Things to do, in order:

• Leave the RF firmware in your new X6R  RXs alone - there is no need to change them.
  • Read back through this thread from the start and you will find lots of links and all the steps needed to update your Taranis Open TX firmware to v2.1 and it's (separate) RF firmware to the latest EU LBT standard. Follow them to achieve this goal (you can ask questions here if needed, but the key bit is reading this thread, it will really help you).
  • Once your Taranis is on OTX 2.1 and the latest EU LBT RF firmware, try binding your new RXs - they should now work fine.
  • Flash your older X series RXs to the latest RF firmware following the instructions linked from this thread, then rebind them.
  • Use the system as normal. All your current RXs should now be working, and any future X series you purchase will work straight out of the box.
  • Should there ever be another change in EU regulations that means a change to FrSky's RF protocol you will be able to update any X-series RXs by connecting them to the transmitter and reflashing to whichever version of RF firmware you want to use.

Edited By MattyB on 20/02/2017 12:34:47