Olympics 2016

john stones 1 - Moderator

Advert

well the radio news proudly announced the medals won today by team GB. No mention of the winning athletes names however just a list of events. Has the medal tally become the most important part of the Olympics This is no bad reflection on the marvellous success of the athletes just a complaint about lazy journalism.

Edited By Phil 9 on 18/08/2016 17:29:58

My wife and I watched the mountain bike cross-country race on Sunday afternoon mainly to see how Peter Sagan (road race world champion and winner of the Green Jersey in the TdF multiple times) did. He started off very well, especially considering he had to start at the back of the field as he had no recent MtB points. He started the first lap of the main course in 3rd place until a puncture forced him to ride almost a full lap before he could get a wheel change. That was the end of his challenge, which was a pity because he's such a fierce competitor and a real character.

I enjoyed dinghy racing which gets zero coverage for 4 years until the Olympics comes round again. The commentary was knowledgeable (although repetitive at times) and didn't treat viewers as idiots. The cycling was wonderful especially the team pursuits and Kenny and Trott's events.

Pity about the half empty stadium at times but I guess with few chances to cheer for home success it's hardly surprising.

Geoff

Yes I enjoyed it - and as I say I'm not generally a sports fan. But there was some great television with a quite a few nail-biting moments - the hockey final, and the cycling have to take the cake there! There were also some lovely human moments - like the reaction of the young lady from team GB who won an unexpected medal in the trampolining and the other competitor from Kozovo who won her county's first ever Olympic medal - her country didn't even exist officially until a few years ago of course and, whatever your views you have to concede, has had a very difficult birth. So that was very special for her.

Horse dancing is quite fun - I don't understand it, but then I don't understand cricket either! And its more graceful and far more seems to happen than in cricket! wink 2 (And we can win at horse dancing!!!)

So, I've probably seen more television in the last two weeks than I have in the previous six months!

BEB

Posted by Phil 9 on 18/08/2016 17:26:28:

well the radio news proudly announced the medals won today by team GB. No mention of the winning athletes names however just a list of events. Has the medal tally become the most important part of the Olympics This is no bad reflection on the marvellous success of the athletes just a complaint about lazy journalism.

Edited By Phil 9 on 18/08/2016 17:29:58

Could they really announce the names of all 27 gold winners? Don't forget that many are team sports so that could be in excess of 50 names to read out on the radio.

Is that really a feasible option to read out 50 names instead of saying that GB for 27 Gold medals?