Electric Vulcan

Advert

Thanks guys,I came back to rc about three years ago after having twelve years off to go and play with full size gliders. Before that I was mostly interested in rc gliders and I always prefered to build from plans rather than kits.I dabbled with electric models a bit without getting really into it and my interest took off when I saw the advances that had been made with the likes of brushless motors and depron. I have built nine or ten models in depron starting with a couple of steve shumates parkjets and getting a bit more adventurous each time.

I keep all of my building techniques as low tech as possible, with most of the shaping being done over the edge of the kitchen top or between my fingers and I work with 3mm skins mostly as it is easier to work with. While 3mm depron seems very flimsy once it is shaped and glued into a complete structure it becomes suprisingly stiff and strong.

I will try to help anyone who is interested any way I can and if it will help anybody I could do a build log of the construction of my 68" spitfire and 64" FW190 both of which weigh just over 2 1/2 lbs ready to fly.

In the meantime here is a series of pictures showing the construction of the half tubes for the exhausts.starting by rolling two strips of 3mm over the kitchen top to preshape them,then gluing them together and wrapping them around a cardboard tube until the glue dries.Once cured the resulting half tube is quite stiff and has no tendency to unroll itself needing no extra support.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/26299/tube1.jpg

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/26299/tube2.jpg

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/26299/tube3.jpg

Glen,

That Vulcan looks lovely. The shape seems very good. I'm building a GAD one and its my first attempt at Depron / electric. To get the shape of the fuse its a major sanding exercise. If you want any help / advise on colour schemes let me know. I've got plenty of Vulcan stencil / markings as Paint Shop Pro graphics that can be printed as decals. I made them as part of some work I've done for a commercial MSFS Vulcan project.

Thanks Paul, GAD make great depron kits,unfortunately the vulcan does'nt lend itself to being built with flat board and working with 3mm depron has made it easier for me to form the shapes I want without ending up knee deep in depron dust. I was looking at GADs stand at tha nats yesterday and I particularly like their B17 but if I decide to build one I will have to double the size. I really like GADs motto that fat birds dont fly and I try to keep the weight to a minimum on all of my builds. The drawings I have give the information on camoflage and some of the markings but your graphics sound very interesting. Here is another view with a bit less glare, I must clean the lense on my camera.

Glenn

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/26299/full2.jpg

Glenn,

it does look good. From the mods you've included its a late 70s onwards spec B2 with RWR and TRF. Which engines are you going to "fit", the long narrow jet pipes of the 201 or the shorter wider jet pipes of the later 301 engined Vulcans. Have you decided on a particular machine to finish it as? The real Vulcans are virtually unique and can be recognised without seeing their tail codes due to the various in mods and paint colours and patterns. I can email the stencils etc for you to print an decal paper and I also have several 100% accurate schemes icluding the variations in the camouflage patterns on individual planes. It depends how "scale" you want the finish to be, but so far it looks amazingly accurate so a good scheme would do it justice. Similarly the jammmer plates between the engines on the underside of the wings were fitted in different combinations on different aircraft. Even the rescue stencils on the side on the nose vary from plane to plane, being done in different colours and with stencils different ways round. If you are doing 558 it has many unique features due to its varied career. In particular it no longer has the TFR that your has. It lost it many years ago when it got a high gloss scheme and went ship hunting!

Many of the surviving Vulcans have now got inaccurate schemes and missing stencils due to being repainted to keep them from rotting away. However there is a wide range of schemes and finishes available that would be accurate.

Wow Paul, thats amazing. I did'nt realise there were so many differences. The short wide jet pipes are favourite because of ease of access to the motors.

XL426 was top of the shortlist although I dont want to do the wrap around camoflage. I also have pictures of XM602 and XM655 but any other suggestions would be welcome. I did'nt want to get carried away with adding too much detail as the main aim is to keep the weight down for flight performance and my original idea was to have more of a generic scheme.

The wrap around colour scheme isn't the best for orientating a model! 426 is darker than it should be. However if you did want to do 426 it did have the classic scheme with the light grey underside when it was with 617 Squadron. However 426 has the long narrow 201 jetpipes. 655 has the shorter wider 301 jetpipes and is still functional. Its been very well repainted and has retained its stencils. If you wanted a darker underside, you could do any of the301 engined Black Buck planes, 607, 598, 391 etc. A few Vulcans had the RWR fintop box fitted whilst they retained the white underside and full colour roundels. The ecm jammer plates between the engines wouldn't add too much weight, but depending which plane you modelled would dictate where it had one or a pair fitted. The planes that were modded to carry the Blue steel had a pair of these plates. However the later 301 engined Vulcans were configured for the skybolt missile and generally only had an ecm plate on one side. 655 only has one.

hi all great thread i read with interest

been to the bournemouth air show today and heard that the vulcan will not be attending as some lazy git couldnt be bothered to get out of bed to inspect a simple repair and sign it off as flight werthy GUTTED!!! as it was going to be one of the highlights of the event still a great show though with the euro fighter flying today LOAD aint the word WOW!!!!

Colin Wale wrote (see)

hi all great thread i read with interest

been to the bournemouth air show today and heard that the vulcan will not be attending as some lazy git couldnt be bothered to get out of bed to inspect a simple repair and sign it off as flight werthy GUTTED!!! as it was going to be one of the highlights of the event still a great show though with the euro fighter flying today LOAD aint the word WOW!!!!

Well, that's the CAA for ya! Same here, It was a brob with the LG system or something, so it won't be at shoreham today...

I read at the beginning of the week that they were having tech problems with the landing gear and three or four shows would be cancelled. I think next appearance will be Duxford but I'm not sure.Problem is that this is a very complicated machine which has just had a total rebuild and there are bound to be difficulties with systems, and as they dont have unlimited resources it will take longer to fix.

Sheldon, I will be using two servos in each wing and they will be mixed as elevons,also I will draw a 48" version for anyone who wants to build something a bit more sensible.

Glenn