Electric Vulcan

Advert

Hey Glenn. I am i new returnee to the hobby and i have followed this thread from the begining.

I am really interested in looking into new materials and as yourself funds are not unlimited.

the finish you acheived with depron has inspired me to try this stuff out. i am looking at building a mosquito and just like the original aircraft, it will be built from a new innovative material, a fitting tribute i feel.

The crutch method you have used for your models seems equally as usefull for the aircraft. I haven't built for a while but will take phot's and possibly produce a blog if things go well. I hope i can rely on you for support and advice during the build?

Thanks for some insperational reading and well done. Phil

I will look forward to seeing it Phil, I had been considering a mossie myself as I have an old CAP plan. I will be glad to help if I can

Bill, I really have to get to an airshow next year. I missed going to waddington this year because of work.

Lets hope the petition does some good

Glenn

• 1 month later...

Hi Glenn.

Hope all is well with you, have you managed to get any further with plans for a smaller model yet?

I have bought myself a Horizon Hobby F-27 Stryker that looks to be about the closest shape I can get to the Vulcan at the moment am well pleased with it and feel that if I can fly that ,then if I can get a vulcan I should be able to manage that. as well.

I managed to get a fly in this afternoon Lovely sunny day here in southern Ireland and the wind dropped at about 3.30 so got 2 batteries worth out of the F -27, I think i`m getting better no damage Ha ! Ha!

Bill

sorry for the delay in getting drawings done guys. I have had to concentrate on work for the last few weeks and it has held up progress but I will be back on it as soon as possible.

Jack, I'm sure an indoor model would be no problem, its just a matter of keeping the all up weight as low as possible. It should be possible to build an 18" span with weight around 10 ozs or less. 

Glenn, Did I see that horrible four letter word (work) am pleased to say I no longer "work" everything I do now is PLAY    I like many others gave approx 50 + years to that task. pity we couldnt all retire while this old Chassis of ours was not .worn out.

DONT WORRY BE HAPPY thats my motto.

I read a saying once that said : "Old boys with toys never grow old"

Love life its the only one you have.

Happy Christmas to all Flyboys everywhere,

Keep the VULCAN Flying.

Hi Glenn, I only found your build to-day. It looks terrific, I am quite a Vulcanatic having worked on them and Blue Steel for a few years at RAF Scampton during the 60's. A couple of years ago I started drawing up plans for a Balsa built one and I think that I will have to dig them out and ressurect them, maybe for Depron, who knows? Well Done and thanks for a very interesting read. Good  luck for the future flights and I will now keep a lookout for plans if you do them.

Happy Christmas to you and to anyone else who sees this.

All the Best, Vic

That's great with the Vulcan.    I plan to build one in the future with retractable undercarriage, The front nose gear looks straight forward, but the main retracts forward and up,  How does the full size fit inside the wing with it's 8 wheel bogie and the back part looks as it goes down 30 degs as it climbs away.. I can't see it fitting in the space available, unless the bogie flattens itself in the bay.    Any help please.

hi glen

im a newbie to model flying and my limitations are to balsa kits so far. just thought id say a very big thank you for showing us all what can be done. seen the video and your model looks so good in the air as well as stationary. hope you do the plans for the smaller version it would be something i would seriously look at in the future. thank you for being such a hugh inspiration to all old and new modellers.

big congratulations john.

• 2 months later...
Hi Glen. Was wondering if you had got any further  with plans for plans for 48in Vulcan, as mentioned at the end of last year. I hear things are not looking good for 558 can we rustle up 500,000 people for a £1 at football matches this weekend.
Not good flying weather at the moment in Southern Ireland.
I am now going to watch your video.
Bill.

Thanks for the kind comments guys. The Vulcan has certainly exceeded my dreams in terms of its handling and ease of launching. I am sure I could have built it lighter which would have made the performance much better with the cheap motors I am using.
Maybe I will build another one  in the future to test out some of my theories and stretch the size to 120" - 140".

Sorry about the delay on the plans. I have been struggling to find time for the models recently but I will get it sorted as soon as possible. I am desperate to get started on some more projects, my head is full of ideas but I just cant find time to get them on the building board at the moment.

Glenn

Wouldn't want to push on the plan Glenn, but if you ever do produce one full size for the model featured here I sure would build one. I understand fully how it is not being able to get things done, I have 4 projects at the moment, the next in built up depron and I can't get to sit down and make a start.

Great news that XH558 has been saved for this year at least, cant wait to see her at an airshow in the summer.
Gemma, I can send you my original drawings scaled to the larger size if you are interested, you couldnt really call it a plan but its a good starting point.

Glenn